Railroad Forums 

• Bill introduced for NJT to provide all service free during summer months

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1599216  by JohnFromJersey

NJT certainly overcharges for the mediocre, at best, service they offer, but making the entire thing free all the time is a bad idea. Reduced prices all around? Yes. No fares on slow days to try and attract new riders? Sure. But having free service on weekends during the summer will 100% bring on people who will cause problems, and probably chase people away from using NJT. A lot of New Yorkers are avoiding the subway due to all the violence on it, and it's not even free!

#1599483  by amtrakowitz

No fares on slow days to try and attract new riders? Sure. ...
No, not even that.
 #1599532  by Dcell

"But having free service on weekends during the summer will 100% bring on people who will cause problems, and probably chase people away from using NJT. "
This comment makes no sense to me at all. It's probably all moot anyway as it's June 11 and the legislature is closed until sept.
 #1599587  by JohnFromJersey

Dcell wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:12 pm "But having free service on weekends during the summer will 100% bring on people who will cause problems, and probably chase people away from using NJT. "
This comment makes no sense to me at all. It's probably all moot anyway as it's June 11 and the legislature is closed until sept.
If it's free, you can get on and stay almost as long as you want. It will become a mobile homeless shelter at the very least. On one hand, they would have a warm and cool place to sleep, but I'd imagine it could cause some serious health and safety issues if that becomes another function of NJT...