Railroad Forums 

• Bike trails in Canada and LVRR Niagara Falls

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#38613  by SST

Over the weekend I did some "random" observations. I'll start with Canada.

The bike trail that I discussed before out of Fort Erie is progressing. A friend of mine told me that a section where she lives has been paved. So I explored the CN line from Port Colborne east. The rail/trail has now been paved from the Port Colborne yard east. The path also runs along side the 1 mile active portion still servicing a business. Unfortunately, the line didn't connect up with Ridgeway several miles east. I'd say about 1.5 miles still needs to be paved over. While driving home I passed the Cherry Hill Golf Course on Rt 3 which sits between Sherkston and Ridgeway which is the unpaved section. I think the line runs through the middle of the golf course so I'm already wondering if the line will be connected. The unimproved section is so deep with ballast you can't ride your bike on it. You sink. So, this could be a stumbling block. I'll be watching of cousre.

As posted a while ago, the LVRR Niagara Falls branch will be affected by the new Cheektowaga golf course. As of a few days ago, construction has begun. They have staked out the fareways. The are cutting the overgrowth along the row. So far they haven't torn down the row which sits 30 feet or so above the general area. The way things look at the moment, I'm almost thinking they will leave it alone. I'm sure they will manicure it but I'm not certain they will flatten it. The front loader assisting in clearing out the brush hit a telegraph pole and knocked it over. The surrounding trees are currently holding it up.

One stake near the WS/LV crossing shows it as Tee #3. I believe my back yard will be #8. I'm not complaining though, it could have been Walmart instead.

#38796  by MarkT

Where exactly in Cheektowaga is this golf course? I lived there a long time and I can't think of where there is enough land along the LV row. They must really be cramming this course in there

#38864  by SST

Its right near the airport. It will be built on the east side of Sonwil Dr and south of Genesee St. The course will be built on either side of the LV row. Actually, the row will go just about down the middle of the course. The access rd for the course I think is Reim rd off of Transit rd Rt78.

There is also upscale housing that sits up against the row that will also be surrounded by the course.