Railroad Forums 

• Big Sandy, TX question

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1566445  by roberttosh

I've noticed on the Big Sandy Webcam that trains heading west from Longview and then needing to go South towards Tyler actually go beyond the diamond, back up the connecting track onto the line heading North (Pine Bluff Sub?) and then proceed south across the diamond towards Tyler. There is a connecting track just beyond the diamond that would allow WB trains to make a progressive move and diverge directly on to the line to Tyler, so my question is why do they waste the time and effort to do the backing maneuver? Is it a signal issue, is the connecting track out of service? Just seems very odd that they would operate that way.
 #1566460  by Mike Doughney

roberttosh wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:48 am Is it a signal issue, is the connecting track out of service? Just seems very odd that they would operate that way.
I've seen trains on that cam using the connecting track - fewer than those doing the backing maneuver - so it's unlikely that's an issue. My assumption is that for whatever reason these trains must stop at the crew change shack.