Railroad Forums 

• Big Four - CCC&ST.L

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#989104  by Cactus Jack

Has there ever been a book written about the Big Four ? Any planned ?

I've always thought it to be an interesting railroad but never read much about it, at least all in one place.
 #1001287  by kevin.brackney

While a book on the subject escapes me, here is my personal Big 4 connection: The Indiana & Ohio (IORY) and Central Railroad of Indiana (CIND) both operate stretches of former CCC&St. L. Trackage. The IORY Urbana (OH) Sub is former Big 4, and if you know just where to look, you can see some of the concrete CCC & St. L. property markers. At Glen Echo there is an old cast iron high stand switch switch stamped with "CCC & St. L." At Valley Jct. Ohio (the last time I was there, which has been a few years) there was another such switch on the far east end of the yard.
 #1001443  by Roger Hensley

No book as far as I know.
But my personal connection is the current CSX double track line through Anderson IN and the South Anderson Yard. That was CCC&StL and I still think of it as such.
 #1004766  by spRocket

The Kankakee, Beaverville & Southern operates some former Big Four trackage as well (from Kankakee, IL to Lafayette, IN). A small chunk of the Big Four also survives as an industrial spur (with a lift bridge across the Illinois River) at Seneca, IL; that's a surviving section of the Kankakee and Seneca, one of many failed attempts to bypass Chicago.