Railroad Forums 

• BH Trackwork

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#975681  by joshuahouse

In case anyone is interested there is trackwork going on along the former DLW main. In an interesting turn of events, there are MOW equipment parked on the BH main in front of Lane Pipe, which may be the farthest north they have had equipment in several years.
 #997118  by K4Pacific

From Gene Blabey himself;

Rehabilitation of the Bath & Hammondsport's original line between Bath Jct. to a siding adjacent to the Steuben County Jail also requires a local match (10 percent).  That track is currently out of service.  After completion next year, B&H Rail Corp. will be able to serve Steuben County IDA industrial sites in the area of the jail.
 #1001266  by trainman82

what specific businesses would be using this siding now. i grew up in the area and can think of no place that would require rail deliveries in that imediate area. as a fan of the b&h and growing up in hammondsport, im interested in this new news of activity on the original b&h. and pics anyone has would be greatly appreciated havent been back to the area since the early 2000's.
 #1001603  by poppyl

I've got no inside information, but would speculate that if NYS reopens to gas drilling, that would be a good location for a frac sand and pipe transload operation to support drilling from Barrington south to Monterrey and over to Prattsburg. The last drilling effort in Yates and Schuyler was supported out of Towanda, PA and the logistics were a bear. And Bath would be even more convenient than Horseheads/Big Flats for the areas that I mentioned.

Poppyl