Railroad Forums 

• Bethlehem Union Station: a few mysteries

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#8997  by Franklin Gowen

Hello. Here's are a few questions that may be somewhat off-topic here:

In February, 1961, the Lehigh Valley discontinued its final passenger trains. Its Bethlehem, PA. facility at Union Station was of course a joint property with the Reading Company, which kept running passenger trains there beyond its own 1971 bankruptcy, and even past the creation of Conrail.

After LV dropped its last psgr trains, for how much longer did Bethlehem Union Station remain open to the public?

I have seen photographs taken in the mid-1960s that show the building to be closed, windows boarded up, etc. Of course one could still use the south-side covered platforms for boarding RDG trains, but when were Union Station's ticket offices finally closed and the building taken out of service as an operating psgr waiting room?

Here's another question that's bugged me for years:

When did the auto ramp that curved down from the northbound lanes of Bethlehem's Hill-to-Hill Bridge, below to Union Station finally get removed? Same for the covered pedestrian staircase next to the ramp, going down to the northwest corner outside Union Station? You can see these features in -many- old photos, but both of them are now long gone. When were they taken down?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

#9277  by wis bang

The ramp from the bridge down to the station area was still there in '76, when I first got out of college I worked for a construction company making the pedstrian mall on Main street & I remember that ramp being there.

#296876  by JimBoylan

Franklin Gowen wrote:When did the auto ramp that curved down from the northbound lanes of Bethlehem's Hill-to-Hill Bridge, below to Union Station finally get removed?
And why did that ramp have a trolley track, when the new Hill to Hill bridge never had trolley service? The asphalt overlay at the top of the ramp was wearing off in mid Feb., 1969, so I could see the rails in Belgian blocks running up to the expansion joint.