Railroad Forums 

• Bethlehem Area Questions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#271654  by hazmatmess

I just had dinner in The Main Street Depot restaurant tonight. Anybody have any information about the building. When did it last see rail service? Who serviced it? Things like that.

Another question, by Duth Springs dive park, there is a single line (Parallel to 191 near 22). Is that the same line that runs off the tracks from Allentown Yard near the Main Street Depot? Where does it go and how often do trains run on it?

Thanks
Tim :-D

#271665  by Irish Chieftain

Main Street Depot is the old Central RR of New Jersey station. Last passenger service was in 1967 IIRC.

The rail branch by PA 191 and US 22: Not sure if this is the ex-CNJ branch to Wind Gap or if it was part of the L&NE. Someone else may be able to clarify that.

#271715  by choess

The branch by 191 is ex-L&NE, their line into Allentown and Bethlehem.

#274132  by carajul

The depot is the old CNJ depot. The track outside is the old CNJ main to NJ. It ends just east of the depot/restaurant. I don't know why this smidge of track is still in place, but it's well maintained and NS parks units on it once in a while. And actually, the signal bridge over the line was still in place an illuminated red until just a few years ago when NS removed it.

The line along the road is the old LNE. It's in good shape. NS just overhauled the line. Rails are always shiny. It is served 6 days a week I think to drill the cement mills north of Allentown.

#274143  by SemperFidelis

By the by, this is an excellent establishment with hundreds of railroad pictures inside.

The wait staff is excellent and the food is wonderful.