Railroad Forums 

• Best/Worst Rail Movies

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#478005  by 2nd trick op

This month's Trains has a reference (in a marginally-related article) to a listing of the ten bet and worst rail-oriented films. The original article reportedly came out in the January, 2003 issue, and regrettably, this is not one in my collection.

It might be interesting if one of our regulars could locate and post a copy of the list as a complement to our long-running "Railroads in the Movies" thread.

#487892  by Gilbert B Norman

Allow me to editorialize. but Silver Streak II gets my vote for the worst.

I'm sorry, but I cannot endorse any absurdity that demonstrates so many Rules violations as did that piece of tripe. Amtrak chose to have no part of such and was indeed wise with their decision.

But without further comment and simply resorting to factual reporting, here is the list from January 2003 TRAINS as noted by Mr. 2nd Trick (do your own imdb searches on these):

Best:

1) The Train
2) The General
3) North by Northwest
4) The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3
5) Human Desire
6) Silver Streak (yup, same one as I said is the worst)
7) Emperor of the North Pole
8) The Silver Streak (1934 version)
9) Twentieth Century/Broadway Limited
10) Danger Lights

My vote for the best: "Caught on a Train"; because it depicts European rail travel 'as it is".

#529761  by davebdawg

OK Here's 4 more: Von Ryans Express, The Money Train, Runaway Train,and one more that does'nt have trains for a main theme but has a few great shots nontheless, my fav is when the truck was pushing Dennis Weavers car onto the tracks when the train was passing by the crossing!!!! And for all of us Insulator collectors out there, tons and tons of telegraph poles along the line!!! :P

#530921  by Conrail Tweety

Best: The General
Worst: Polar Express (good Christmas movie, bad train movie)