Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#133572  by quadrock

Hey all...
I'm making a trip to JFK airport from NY Penn Station. Anyone have any recommendations as to whether I should take the A train or E train (to Sutphin Blvd) to connect to the AirTrain? As in which one is faster, more reliable, frequent etc?

Thanks in advance.

#133575  by arrow

The A may be slightly faster, but either one will get you there in about the same time.

Remember to take the A train that says Rockaway not Lefferts Blvd.

#134439  by quadrock

Ok thanks a lot.
I took the A express to JFK with no problems. Took about an hour but it worked out perfect for my flight connection.

#134571  by drewh

I would think LIRR to Jamaica is the fastest route. No??

#134608  by arrow

Yes that's fast but also much more expensive!

#134630  by drewh

An extra $5 doesn't seem like much compared to the speed and comfort - especially with luggage.

#135028  by MACTRAXX

Guys:A inexpensive way to go is connect with the Q10 bus from the Union Turnpike-Kew Gardens station (E,F lines) or take a Lefferts Boukevard-bound A train to catch the Q10 there. If you come off the subway the metrocard transfer gets you on the bus-this will NOT work with single ride cards. Many JFK workers go that way to save the $5 gateway airtrain fee. If you have too much luggage other than a reasonable carry-on,this route can be inpractible.
This is a Green Bus line-the fare otherwise is $1 off-peak,$1.50 peak.PEAK FARE: 6-10 AM and 3-7 PM Weekdays. Another inexpensive bus to remember if you go to LGA is the Q33 from 74/Roosevelt sta-(E,F,G,R,7) for the price of a $2 fare-again NO single rides. The ride in the Airtrain from the LIRR Jamaica terminal is scenic and FAST. The $5 Airtrain fee is only collected at Jamaica LIRR and Howard Beach-JFK Exiting those two stations only. All other points and stops on the Airtrain can be accessed FREE. Hope this info helps all - MACTRAXX

#135076  by drewh

I always found that a faster way to LGA, was the N train to Astoria, then the M60 bus. The Q33 is much slower and encounters a lot more traffic.

#135467  by quadrock

Other than being re-routed over the F line due to construction between some stations, the A line got me back to NYP pretty quickly with no major incidents.

#139222  by sodusbay

From NYP the E is quite a bit faster than the A. Check the schedules on the MTA page. The E from NYP to Jamaica is about 32 minutes, the A to Howard Beach about 42 minutes. The AirTrain from Jamaica is quite fast, even though the distance is longer, and doesn't make an intermediate stop. Now that the elevator/passageway in Jamaica is working, it's quite smooth.

#139846  by thedarkliberator

Why not avoid all of this and take a raggedy ass ride on a comfortable MCI via NYAS