Railroad Forums 

• Best screw to replace Atlas pin for coupler

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1161060  by hrfcarl

I recently bought an Altas FP-7 from Ebay which came with horn-hook couplers held in place with pins. I want to use newer knuckle couplers, so I carefully removed the pins, but am unsure what is the best screw size to use for replacement. Did not want test with what I have in fear of cracking the plastic. Any suggestions? Thanks!
 #1161214  by Backshophoss

You can use the pin to hold the replacement Kadee coupler in the box(pin is "press-fit"),or
tap for a 1/4 inch 2-56 screw,or(last resort)use a tiny self tapping screw/wood screw.
You should be able to find 2-56 and tiny screws at the local hobby shop,or in the "doll house" hardware section at Michels,or Hobby Lobby.