Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1072902  by Metra210

It has been a little over a year since I became a railfan once again, after a 14-year hiatus, and it has been almost two months since I received my camcorder, which I purchased just to film trains in my area. This weekend, I am using a Metra weekend pass to ride at least three undisclosed lines, and I am bringing my camcorder to shoot some footage while doing so. Does anyone have a suggestion on great railfanning spots that are easily accessible by Metra?

If interested, here is the link to my YouTube channel, which currently has over 100 videos that I have made so far. Most involve Metra trains on the UP West Line.
www.youtube.com/user/METX210
 #1072992  by doepack

The bridge over the Highlands station on BNSF is a long-time railfan favorite, and afternoons are by far the best times to shoot trains there. Keep in mind that the station is closed on weekends, but fortunately, the Hinsdale station is only a 1/2 mile west. Also, the Roosevelt Road overpass is another popular location, with a small shopping area right next to it, just off Canal St. There's also the old CA&E bridge in Wheaton (now part of the Illinois Prarie Path), about a 1/4 mile west of the Metra Wheaton depot, where plenty of Metra and UP action can be seen; best time to be there is between 1pm and 4pm weekday afternoons, since freight traffic usually spikes around that time.

Welcome back to the hobby...
 #1072997  by Metra210

doepack wrote:The bridge over the Highlands station on BNSF is a long-time railfan favorite, and afternoons are by far the best times to shoot trains there. Keep in mind that the station is closed on weekends, but fortunately, the Hinsdale station is only a 1/2 mile west. Also, the Roosevelt Road overpass is another popular location, with a small shopping area right next to it, just off Canal St. There's also the old CA&E bridge in Wheaton (now part of the Illinois Prarie Path), about a 1/4 mile west of the Metra Wheaton depot, where plenty of Metra and UP action can be seen; best time to be there is between 1pm and 4pm weekday afternoons, since freight traffic usually spikes around that time.

Welcome back to the hobby...
Thanks for the suggestions, and I sometimes go to the Roosevelt Road overpass by Canal. I have to agree, it is a very nice railfanning spot.
 #1073014  by Tadman

I personally prefer the north approaches to both Ogilvie and CUS, visible from the Canal/Kedzie area on foot. I also prefer the Roosevelt Road area on approach to Randolph terminal on the electric lines. I grew up in Indiana so I'm biased toward ME and South Shore.