Railroad Forums 

• Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#567859  by SubwayTim

ChemiosMurphy wrote:
No platform shots
No. I explicitly said the Septa platform to the cop and was denied because "It's a post 9/11 world in which we live in." I just shook my head and walked on.
I know it wouldn't be a wise idea to get sarcastic with a cop, but I would almost be tempted to ask "Do I look like a terrorist???" and/or "Do you believe in railfans???" if one was to stop me from taking pictures because it's a "post 9/11 world". If a cop approaches me because I'm taking pictures, maybe I'll snap a picture of HIM!
 #567863  by SubwayTim

neroden wrote:(Of course, if a cop refuses to give name or badge number, the cop is violating any number of laws and regulations, and also *knows* that he's doing something wrong. At that point, you're dealing with a hardened criminal, and should use your judgment as you would if approached by a mugger on the street. Most people would do what the criminal asked, and once out of the situation, file a criminal complaint.)
Hey, if a cop refuses to give you his name and/or badge number, you have a camera...just pull it out and SNAP HIS PICTURE! A picture would probably be just as useful as his badge number.
 #578183  by JC1076

SubwayTim wrote:
neroden wrote:(Of course, if a cop refuses to give name or badge number, the cop is violating any number of laws and regulations, and also *knows* that he's doing something wrong. At that point, you're dealing with a hardened criminal, and should use your judgment as you would if approached by a mugger on the street. Most people would do what the criminal asked, and once out of the situation, file a criminal complaint.)
Hey, if a cop refuses to give you his name and/or badge number, you have a camera...just pull it out and SNAP HIS PICTURE! A picture would probably be just as useful as his badge number.
As a railfan, as well as a member of law enforcement, I'd advise against taking pictures of a police officer who is questioning you. They *will* see that as a threat to their personal safety, as they have no idea who you are and what you might do with their photograph; a judge would likely agree. Just take the officer's name and badge number, both are usually prominently displayed on the officer's uniform (depending on the department). If a plainclothes cop approaches you, ask for identification before anything else; ask for him to summon a uniformed officer if he refuses to show you an ID.
In short, always comply with a uniformed officer if he tells you to leave; like it was said before, you can always come back later. It's not worth risking arrest to get a photo... the officer has a job to do, and arguing your rights will only prevent him from doing that job. He may not be right, but you won't win any arguments at that point.

Back to the original subject, you can get some scenic shots from Fairmount Park as the trains cross the river, although it's a long walk from any parking to a good spot for shooting.
 #594050  by ApproachMedium

I have been going to philly for the past few weeks for work and snuck the camera along for a few trips. Had no problem snapping a few shots upper level 30th street. But I would highly suggest not stopping at North Philly to go take photos. It may look like a great place but theres a reason why the crews were telling me to NOT get off there on my qualifying rides to and from philly, and that im better off going up to homlesburg jct or to trenton. Im sure anyone thats a regular septa rider or lives in the area probably knows this already.

I dont understand why some people cant just be responsable for their actions, and/or be respectful. If someone tells you to stop, just stop. Like JC said above, leave and come back later.

And on another note not accusing anyone of anything here but keep in mind. I dont come to your office, your retail store or your *insert work enviroment here* and take pictures of you while your working. So dont be taking pictures of cops on duty, or be sticking cameras in train crews faces. Thats just not right, and your asking for trouble. Esp with the cop.
 #594724  by scotty269

KAWASAKI-FAN100 wrote:I MUST try 30th. But the Green barrier that divides the tracks get in the way. I did a railfanning session at Fern Rock and I did not feel comfortable there because there was a Transit police station there and a Philly Police station up the street!

Fern Rock is fine for railfanning, just not at night. I've never had a problem there, and I've been commuting to and from the station for the better part of the last 3 years. The extra-long platform on the outbound side offers a nice view of trains coming toward the station, plus offers a nice view of an AEM7/ALP44-led push-pull consist on weekdays as it lays over on track 0.
 #594874  by KAWASAKI-FAN100

TheOneCalledA1 wrote:
KAWASAKI-FAN100 wrote:I MUST try 30th. But the Green barrier that divides the tracks get in the way. I did a railfanning session at Fern Rock and I did not feel comfortable there because there was a Transit police station there and a Philly Police station up the street!

Fern Rock is fine for railfanning, just not at night. I've never had a problem there, and I've been commuting to and from the station for the better part of the last 3 years. The extra-long platform on the outbound side offers a nice view of trains coming toward the station, plus offers a nice view of an AEM7/ALP44-led push-pull consist on weekdays as it lays over on track 0.
Then again you've seen my push and pull pics from FRTC station., Thanks A1!

#598246  by Mgoldman

Here are two great locations to photograph Philadelphia's regional trains.

You won't get hassled and you'll be able to photograph locations that are Philly landmarks rather then shooting
in the middle of nowhere or out in the suburbs.

The first is in Fairmont Park, off Kelly Drive where the road goes under the small tunnel and the bike trail goes
around the rock outcropping. You can climb straight up or walk down through the "rock garden" path and up a
trail which will lead you to the top of rock outcrop /tunnel. Best time to shoot with good light is the morning.

Schuylkill River Bridge

Another unique location that I have discovered and have not yet seen outside my own lens is the parking
garage in downtown Philly where the trains enter underneath the city. You can park nearby and pretend
your car is parked there or do as I have done and pony up the $10.00 and save yourself the hassle. An
added benefit to parking there besides not having to carry any equipment up to the top parking deck is
it's proximity to 30th Street Station should you decide to venture there for some photos. A tourist from
out of town can shoot at 30th Station and until I'm told I do not have the right to shoot on public property
I consider myself just another tourist. It's sad, as there are already plenty of photos of and around the
station to be found on the Net or in books.

Center City Parking Garage

Enjoy!

/Mitch
 #602928  by SEPTAR3kid

Are Septa engineers known to report those on platforms shooting video or taking pictures? Has anyone had problems taking pictures along the R5 mainline as well as thats a great place to get some shots of Regional rail along with Amtrak Keytone Service and The Pennsylvanian.
 #606546  by gprimr1

I'm trying to find the magic place at Zoo interlocking. I've found a few prospects, but even armed with a .38, (Anyone over 21 can get a permit to carry in PA, please follow the laws and don't be stupid.) I don't feel comfortable alone. On the Zoo side of the tracks, I am looking at a spot where you can see the River Bridge signals. It might be doable on top of a car (as if that doesn't look shady).

There's also a park on the other side of the river that might be doable with telephoto lenses.

There's a few places on the R-2 right by the PA line that might work too.

Lastly, while not for regional, you can catch Keystones and R-5 at Overbrook, along with a few PRR signals, and no freaking fence in the middle of the tracks (due to it being a manned interlocking). Wynnewood is also good only in the morning, to catch the trains turning the curve.
 #606557  by khecht

gprimr1 wrote:I'm trying to find the magic place at Zoo interlocking. I've found a few prospects, but even armed with a .38, (Anyone over 21 can get a permit to carry in PA, please follow the laws and don't be stupid.) I don't feel comfortable alone. On the Zoo side of the tracks, I am looking at a spot where you can see the River Bridge signals. It might be doable on top of a car (as if that doesn't look shady).
I don't think there's a magic place at Zoo, unless you consider the hot air balloon that the zoo uses for observation, but it only runs in the warm weather months. On the south side of Zoo interlocking, there's Mantua Ave, but having ridden past there many times on the R5 and Keystones, it doesn't appear to be a good neighborhood, and you will have trouble getting photos of anything on the north side of the interlocking using the duckunders or lower level tracks, such as the freights or much of the NEC traffic. Your top of the car reference I assume is to Zoological St that borders Zoo (the interlocking) and the zoo.

There's a parking lot along Girard Ave (US 30) just west of the tracks along the Reading freight connector track that I think is used for zoo parking that might be of help. It's been too long since I was up that way to recall whether it's a paid lot or not though.
gprimr1 wrote:There's also a park on the other side of the river that might be doable with telephoto lenses.
Not sure exactly where you mean, but east of the river, the tracks go from being well above ground level (over the river and East River Dr) to below ground level in a cut and under 33rd St/US 13 in pretty short order.
gprimr1 wrote:There's a few places on the R-2 right by the PA line that might work too.
Marcus Hook or Claymont DE stations are probably your best bet, both with long lines of sight. There are a bunch of refineries with private security forces between Marcus Hook and the PA state line, and you might arouse suspicion by doing much around that area either with them or even Amtrak police.
gprimr1 wrote:Lastly, while not for regional, you can catch Keystones and R-5 at Overbrook, along with a few PRR signals, and no freaking fence in the middle of the tracks (due to it being a manned interlocking). Wynnewood is also good only in the morning, to catch the trains turning the curve.
On the R5, Villanova isn't a bad place to try, as well as stations like Ardmore, Bryn Mawr (interlocking in the middle of the station), Devon, Daylesford and Paoli.
 #606934  by SEPTAR3kid

gprimr1 wrote:Lastly, while not for regional, you can catch Keystones and R-5 at Overbrook, along with a few PRR signals, and no freaking fence in the middle of the tracks (due to it being a manned interlocking). Wynnewood is also good only in the morning, to catch the trains turning the curve.
On the R5, Villanova isn't a bad place to try, as well as stations like Ardmore, Bryn Mawr (interlocking in the middle of the station), Devon, Daylesford and Paoli.[/quote]
Thanks! I tried Bryn Mawr yesterday and got some cool shots with the switching tower and also the Pennsylvanian and Keystone 665 which switched to the express in the interlocking after stopping in Ardmore. There all on youtube now. As for other stations, I do want to try Paoli, Devon, Wynnewood and possibly Berwyn too! I didnt have any trouble at Bryn Mawr but saw a ton of people crossing the tracks.