Railroad Forums 

• Best Place to Railfan in PA

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#1247197  by CNJ Fan 4evr

CNJ Fan 4evr wrote: How about the old RDG Reading to Philly main line? How many trains can you get there? Where are best places ?
Still wondering about this. I really want to get action on the old Reading mainline.Weather has messed up plans lately but hoping that changes soon.
 #1247211  by charlie6017

What about Langhorne? While I'm nowhere near the area, I have seen several photos from this location
over the years.

Charlie
 #1248309  by lvrr325

lvrr325 wrote:Drove up past Enola in Harrisburg Wednesday afternoon. Something was moving in that yard the whole time I was there and I did a quick park and grab a little ways north on 11 when I saw a stack train heading my way.
Made the same trip in early October last year and same deal, in fact I stopped to get gas at a Sheetz just above town on 11/15 that backed up to the mainline and two trains met right there behind the place. It was dark by then and I didn't even realize I was right next to the tracks.
 #1248443  by PARailWiz

CNJ Fan 4evr wrote:
CNJ Fan 4evr wrote: How about the old RDG Reading to Philly main line? How many trains can you get there? Where are best places ?
Still wondering about this. I really want to get action on the old Reading mainline.Weather has messed up plans lately but hoping that changes soon.
My favorite spot is the old Port Kennedy train station at Valley Forge Park (or the old Valley Forge station). https://maps.google.com/maps?q=valley+f ... a&t=h&z=17
 #1260474  by CNJ Fan 4evr

That's on my list of video shooting places in 2014. I also want to shoot some Lebanon Valley line shots from Wyomissing to Rutherford. Maybe some Keystone line when I go out to Lancaster this summer. Enola/Marysville is on my list again. I had planned on the Lurgan branch when I went to a litttle dragstrip next to it but it is presently closed and up for sale so I don't know about that one.
 #1265556  by Rob94hawk

Went to Horseshoe Curve in July during the weekdays. It was dead. Maybe 3 trains the whole time. The lady at the gift shop below said it's much better on the weekends now. Is this true?
 #1265768  by Dick H

I have not been to Horseshoe Curve since 2011, but even at that time,
there was more traffic on the Thursday to Sunday timeframe, than the
beginning of the week.
 #1265784  by tj48

I would also add the Hershey area as well. Trains and a great amusement park, not a bad combo.
 #1266206  by njtmnrrbuff

The Hershey and Harrisburg area, combined, are very good for railfanning. You have NS's Harrisburg Line, Amtrak's Keystone Corridor, and many other routes.