Railroad Forums 

• Best camera?

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#158089  by ANDY117

My Olympus has annoyed me for about the last time tonight. AS soon as light begins to fade, it blurs every shot, unless it's perfectly still, and it's in direct light. It takes about 5 seconds for it to stop showing you the last picture, and be ready for the next. And chasing NS and CP freights, it's an annoyance. Any reccommendations?

#158124  by railohio

What model Olympus is it?

#158176  by ANDY117

D-460 zoom 1.3MP with a 3X optical zoom.

#158633  by MEC407

Your subject line says "Best camera?"

Best in what price range? The best camera in the $200 price range is not going to be as good as the best camera in the $1000 price range. :-)

#158646  by Alcoman

If this is didgtal, I would start by setting the controls on manual if possible.
Also make sure you have your asa setting high. That will help reduce the blur.
While I don't have personal experience with didgtal yet, I am guessing that you are talking about that.
If you use a 35mm film camara like I do), make sure your film is fast enought for the light conditions yoiu are shooting in. Film speed i.e. 100,200,400 asa. Then make sure your lens speed is set as high as possible according to your light meter. A slow lens speed also can cause blur.
 #159219  by Amtrak31

ANDY117 wrote:My Olympus has annoyed me for about the last time tonight. AS soon as light begins to fade, it blurs every shot, unless it's perfectly still, and it's in direct light. It takes about 5 seconds for it to stop showing you the last picture, and be ready for the next. And chasing NS and CP freights, it's an annoyance. Any reccommendations?
When the light begins to fade over here, I use my tripod. It helps me a lot. :-)

#159431  by MEC407

A tripod or even a simple monopod will go a long way towards improving low-light photos. The steadier you can keep the camera, the better the pictures will come out.

#159561  by ANDY117

Is the Canon Digital Rebel any good?

#159565  by MEC407

Yes, it's very good. In fact, all of the digital SLRs on the market right now are very good. It boils down to what your price range is and whether or not you already have a collection of SLR lenses that you want to use with the new camera.

#290965  by ANDY117

My birthday is coming up, and my parents want to know what kind of camera I'd like. A digital SLR is out of the question (Price) so a regular digital is what I'd like. One that has a telescoping lens so I can zoom in, and a fast frame rate, so I can shoot multiple images rapidly. Anyone have any reccommendations? Just a basic camera would be nice, but I don't know what to look for, or where to find one!

#290967  by MEC407

ANDY117 wrote:My birthday is coming up, and my parents want to know what kind of camera I'd like. A digital SLR is out of the question (Price) so a regular digital is what I'd like.
Not to be nosey, but how much money are your parents willing to spend? If you can give me a ballpark figure, I can give you some excellent recommendations.

#291322  by keeper1616

I just purchased a Canon S3 IS and love it. It has a fully manual mode as well as many auto modes. I'm downgrading from a 1st generation D-rebel and its been a nice camera. I actually prefer it so far to the (very) bulky rebel.

I could do without the 2" LCD, but i like the 12x zoom w/ Image Stabilization and the viewfinder. I picked it up with a 1gb ultra-SD card, warranty and case at Best Buy for <$500. You can find the camera alone for ~$350 online or $379 in stores.

#291325  by kevikens

I don't know how much you can spend but a low end digital is going to be problematic with moving trains. SLR digitals are the best route to go and with new Nikons and Canons coming on line there are baragins in the used category here. Think Nikon D50 or the first Canon digital Rebel. I have seen them for some $400. New ones aren't much more. I use the digital SLR's all the time now but used film up until recently. I too tried the low end digitals and missed too many shots. If you can only spend $100 or so you might want to buy a decent 35mm SLR film camera which will let you take pictures of moving equipment. Later you can move on to digital.

#291818  by FiatFan

keeper1616 wrote:I just purchased a Canon S3 IS and love it. It has a fully manual mode as well as many auto modes. I'm downgrading from a 1st generation D-rebel and its been a nice camera. I actually prefer it so far to the (very) bulky rebel.

I could do without the 2" LCD, but i like the 12x zoom w/ Image Stabilization and the viewfinder. I picked it up with a 1gb ultra-SD card, warranty and case at Best Buy for <$500. You can find the camera alone for ~$350 online or $379 in stores.
I will second that! I got mine about a month ago and really like it. I paid about $400 for mine but the prices are already down by about $50.

Tom

#296418  by sullivan1985

There is no such thing as the best camera. It depends what you want out of the camera.

Do you want something easy to carry? Pocket sized maybe? Go with a compact digital camera (ex. Canon Digital ELPH) or do you want something with a little more versatility and an SLR feel without actually going SLR? Try the FujiFilm FinePix S9000. I had a n S7000 for a long time and was very happy with it.

Now instead of both of those, perhaps you crave SLR. Changing lenses for different effects, and full control over your image etc.

It all depends on what your looking for.

I Started out on a FujiFilm FinePix A303. It was pocket sized, and it was good to start off with. As time went on, I started to want to do more. The A303 was holding me back, so i went with the FinePix S7000 and learned a lot. I shot on that camera for over a year and had very good results with it, but still after a while, I still wanted more control.

Now I shoot with a Minolta Maxxum 7 35mm SLR and a Konica-Minolta Maxxum 7D DSLR. I feel right at home for now and prob. wont go anywhere for a long time. I'm very happy with what my SLR's can do.

But I'll say it one more time. It depends on what you want to do. You wanna carry around heavy bag full of lenses and other equip, get an SLR, you want to carry around little to nothing, Go compact. Compact digital cameras have come a loooong way in a very short time.