Railroad Forums 

• Berlin, CT Construction

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#99204  by petercyg1935

Yesterday I rode the Amtrak shuttle between New Haven and Springfield and noticed a lot of construction activity around the Berlin station and the railroad bridge over Farmington Ave. Does anyone know if its railroad oriented, and if so, what its all about?
 #99213  by bobbarbn

What I understand from close Amtrak contacts is that they are redoing the platform a the atation, rebuilding the bridge over Farmington Avenue and are going to replace the second track. at least in the vicinity of the station.

Perhaps this is partly due to the "anticipated" commuter rail project that had been talked about for the past year or more.

#99258  by TomNelligan

It's basically just a highway project connected with the replacement of the tight-clearance Farmington Avenue bridge just south of the station, which necessitated a temporary track rerouting while the bridge is replaced. The station platform will be rebuilt as part of the process, but it has nothing to do with any impending service increase.

#158819  by Stephen B. Carey

What I dont understand about this construction is why the new platform is high, but not high enough to be considered a high level platform? I was just wondering if anyone has any information on this. I seems that anyone boarding a train would have to step up on to the second stair on any Amfleet car. I'm also glad to see that the second track should be returning.
 #158859  by AlcoFA

It is my understading that when construction is finished, the track bed will be higher that it is now and this is the reason for the new platform.

Having grown up in Berlin I know that this bridge has been a problem for years. Many trucks have been stuck under it and it would also flood whenever there was heavy rain. At one time, the Kensington FD would station an engine in the gas station just west of the underpass during rain storms. Then they could respond to a call in that part of town without having to drive around.