Railroad Forums 

• Berkshire Flyer: Pittsfield - New York City Service via Albany

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1596636  by Train60

daybeers wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:49 pm The Danbury-Pittsfield route needs to happen. So much potential in those towns that need revitalization.
There are no current plans to restore passenger service on the Berkshire Line although Deval Patrick was eager to do that back when he was governor. MassDOT is in the middle of a multi-year effort to rebuild the line and there is a bill in the House (MA) that calls for a study. https://malegislature.gov/Bills/192/H3571

The bigger problem is that the line between Danbury and the MA-CT state line is in rough shape.
 #1596647  by Railjunkie

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:43 am
Railjunkie wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:41 am My number came up and over stay-cation I caught COVID. Like I've said all along its not if but when. Anyway, once I get back to work I will be on third trick yard job for a bit and it will be easy enough to find out how they intend on handling this.
Mr. Junkie, so that's how Amtrak treats an employee, who needs to get his bodily rhythms back in shape, returning from an illness?

Where's your Amtrak "Dr. Quackenbush" up there when you need him?

GBN - so far so good; antigen Negative yesterday; after returning from Indianapolis next Sunday (friends, hotel, two restaurants), I'll go in for a PCR.
From vacation into Covid not my idea, perhaps Marist campus tour gave it to me, daughter liked the school but wasn't sold on the "crowd" Dad did not like the price. Ohh well, one week of vacation turns into two.
Started a course of Paxlovid some new monoclonal seems to be working. I prefer to call them Dr. Amquack after having to deal with them for a few other medical related issues.
 #1596649  by eolesen

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Railjunkie wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:41 am My number came up and over stay-cation I caught COVID. Like I've said all along its not if but when. Anyway, once I get back to work I will be on third trick yard job for a bit and it will be easy enough to find out how they intend on handling this.
Mr. Junkie, so that's how Amtrak treats an employee, who needs to get his bodily rhythms back in shape, returning from an illness?
That's life under a seniority system... no different than coming back from days off or vacation and having to readjust.

FWIW I had Covid as a third shift worker. Was lucky to be able to WFH and not have to take time off. You learn to sleep when you can.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1596650  by markhb

Railjunkie wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:41 am Just thinking about times for 449 if its on time arrives in Albany 610pm. The Post Road to CP187 were Amtrak ties into CSX is single track and on up to Chatham CP176. That is 20 miles of single track for those of you keeping score, its slow too. The only place for a meet is Chatham then its single track to PIT yet again. Its a little quicker if your not following or waiting for QXXX. 716pm into PIT?? everything is going to have to work perfectly and that includes CSX.
The last time I rode 449 (before all the trackwork at ALB was completed) it literally pulled into the approach to the Castleton bridge to wait for 448 to come through, and it was a LONG wait while we effectively blocked most freight traffic from New England from getting anywhere.
 #1596654  by NaugyRR

Railjunkie wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:41 am Normal move would be come off pocket 5 with a engine, tie onto the rear of the train thus making it the head end, fuel, air test and go. On the flip cut the west facing engine off run it to the middle towards the shop, air test, fuel and go. Of course its Albany and moves change like the wind. I just want to know where they are getting the extra equipment from we barely have enough to run the current service.

Just thinking about times for 449 if its on time arrives in Albany 610pm. The Post Road to CP187 were Amtrak ties into CSX is single track and on up to Chatham CP176. That is 20 miles of single track for those of you keeping score, its slow too. The only place for a meet is Chatham then its single track to PIT yet again. Its a little quicker if your not following or waiting for QXXX. 716pm into PIT?? everything is going to have to work perfectly and that includes CSX.
Thanks for the inside knowledge Junkie, as always I appreciate it. I hope you recovered quickly and don't end up with any of the nasty long haul effects some people are getting.
Train60 wrote:
daybeers wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:49 pm The Danbury-Pittsfield route needs to happen. So much potential in those towns that need revitalization.
There are no current plans to restore passenger service on the Berkshire Line although Deval Patrick was eager to do that back when he was governor. MassDOT is in the middle of a multi-year effort to rebuild the line and there is a bill in the House (MA) that calls for a study. https://malegislature.gov/Bills/192/H3571

The bigger problem is that the line between Danbury and the MA-CT state line is in rough shape.
I had the opportunity to ride the MBRRE's Housatonic Flyer as my high school graduation present and I'm extremely grateful for the experience.
http://www.massbayrre.org/Gallery200910/HOFL0901.htm

That said, as a local who's lived in Sharon almost his entire life (and Lakeville for a bit) and graduated from Housy in Falls Village, I don't see the passenger potential much on this side of the state line. New Milford maybe, and potentially Kent, but the other towns really don't have much of a walk-able town center. Canaan's got a little bit going for it, but certainly not to the same degree as the other two.

I've previously mentioned in the Housatonic thread that I think the only viable passenger operations would be day trips to Kent and/or weekend trips to Barrington/Lee/Lenox/Stockbridge sponsored by the Red Lion. All under the very unlikely circumstance the track gets upgraded.
 #1596674  by Gilbert B Norman

NaugyRR wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:28 am I had the opportunity to ride the MBRRE's Housatonic Flyer as my high school graduation present and I'm extremely grateful for the experience.
http://www.massbayrre.org/Gallery200910/HOFL0901.htm
Not sure I agree with your "gratefulness", Mr. Naugy.

For the years - '56-'61, I rode NH 141-144, The Berkshire, between South Kent School and Stamford, the "Freedom Train" 141 was just fine. the "Prison Train" !44; uh, otherwise.

Trips on #143 was reserved for such as a family emergency.

Mom and Dad would drive me up from Greenwich (with stuff) for September and back in June after Prize Day; otherwise "Berkie Bullet".
 #1596677  by NaugyRR

While certainly not the same standard of travel you experienced back in the New Haven days, I did truly have a good time Mr. Norman. The weather was beautiful all day and the experience to ride a passenger train on that leg of the Housy is a memory I'll never forget. The layover at the museum in Danbury was fun and I enjoyed chatting with the older buffs who remembered riding the Budd cars towards the end of service.

I honestly wish Amtrak well with this endeavor, I think our country needs more rail and public transit access. I just believe that the Hudson Line -> B&A routing is the better choice.
 #1596698  by Greg Moore

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:37 am Messrs. Daybeers and Moore, Perhaps when your "dream" becomes reality, and you have brought pressure to bear to have Woodrow become a stop, perhaps you will choose to hike "up The Hill" to SKS; maybe my cremated remains can join you!!!
I do hope to meet you in person before then.
NaugyRR wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:28 am
That said, as a local who's lived in Sharon almost his entire life (and Lakeville for a bit) and graduated from Housy in Falls Village, I don't see the passenger potential much on this side of the state line. New Milford maybe, and potentially Kent, but the other towns really don't have much of a walk-able town center. Canaan's got a little bit going for it, but certainly not to the same degree as the other two.

I've previously mentioned in the Housatonic thread that I think the only viable passenger operations would be day trips to Kent and/or weekend trips to Barrington/Lee/Lenox/Stockbridge sponsored by the Red Lion. All under the very unlikely circumstance the track gets upgraded.
I agree none of the towns are overly walkable, at least until you get to perhaps Great Barrington or points north, I think you underestimate the number of folks who would prefer to keep a car at their home in Berkshires or Litchfield County and go to the city during the week. Wassaic is a good evidence for this (and I suspect if they ever relayed the tracks further north again, they'd pick up more business).

I certainly don't see daily trips up the Housy, but I think well planned weekend trips (including a Saturday round trip with a focus of getting folks INTO the city) would have merit and ultimately help remove cars from Rte 7 and Rte 22.

If Vermont finds it worthwhile to fund the Ethan Allan and Vermonter, I suspect Connecticut would find it even more worthwhile, if it were done right.

If ever move back to Falls Village, or retire in time, perhaps I'll make it a project of mine.
Last edited by nomis on Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: fixed & truncated quote
 #1596848  by Red Wing

An option that will not happen now except in my dream world would have been to move the Ethan Allen up the Hoosatonic to Pittsfield, continuing up to North Adams to North Bennington then up to Burlington. But with the Hoosey and a rail trail that will never happen.
 #1596849  by Gilbert B Norman

NaugyRR wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:28 am I've previously mentioned in the Housatonic thread that I think the only viable passenger operations would be day trips to Kent ...
Mr. Naugy, this excursion was still operating during my years at SKS:

https://www.nytimes.com/1947/10/20/arch ... n-for.html

Fair Use:
..Three hundred and ninety-seven persons, from 14 to 78 years old, journeyed to Kent, Conn., Saturday afternoon for the New Haven railroad's tenth anniversary Old Fashioned Husking Bee. A special train consisting of engine, six coaches, refreshment car and a special car for the press transported them from Grand Central Terminal to the scene of the bee and did not return them to Manhattan until the early hours of yesterday morning.
 #1601923  by Greg Moore

So, on a lark, decided to take the inaugural run of the Berkshire Flyer from Albany to Pittsfield last evening.

Some initial thoughts:
  • This is the first time ever I believe two scheduled trains (well 3 if you count 448/449 as two trains) have travelled the Boston Post Road in one day (and the rest of the way to Pittsfield). It's sort of nice to actually see an increase in traffic!
  • That said, the Boston Post Road portion is still apparently stick rail and you can tell. The CSX portion honestly, smooth as glass.
  • My son noted how quickly one gains altitude leaving Albany. Pretty noticeable.
  • It was a pleasant ride and for $10, worth the money.
  • I was a bit surprised though there was really zero fanfare at Albany. The only thing coming close was two Berkshire Eagle news folks interviewing a few Amtrak folks.
  • That said, the reception in Pittsfield more than made up for that. I think there were more people to greet us than actually on the train.
  • My family (my son and daughter and I) made up 1/2 the number of folks who actually boarded in Albany. I was a bit surprised there weren't more train fans who didn't take this inaugural run. That said, this isn't really marketed for Albany passengers (since driving is about 20 minutes faster)
  • Some of the folks greeting at Pittsfield (clearly part of the local business community, BRTA, etc) did comment they are working on solving the "last mile" problem. That said, we did see two shuttle busses outside the station. (We had our own, my wife, to take us back to Albany.)
  • The Pittsfield station is small. The platform barely longer than an Amfleet. Given the projected traffic, this is probably fine.
  • As always, I enjoyed the trip through "State Line Tunnel" (technically about 2 miles from the state line directly and about 3 as the train goes)
That said... the issues:
  • The Berkshire Flyer departs NYP after the Lake Shore Limited, but arrives in Albany before it. I mention this because while we were ready to leave Albany on time (including the time required to add the engine for the EB leg) we ended up having to wait for 6 passengers from the incoming LSL. My guess is this was folks who got on at stops along the way that the Berkshire Flyer didn't stop at. Though perhaps some folks really wanted dinner on the train? I think Amtrak has to not make this a guaranteed connection if they currently are allowing that. No reason to delay this train.
  • This train really could use an operating cafe car. (I think all Empire Service could, but this one especially.)
  • It definitely needs to get more customers. Massachusetts has guaranteed funding for 2 years, but we'll see if that's enough.
  • NYS really should explore adding a stop in Chatham. This would increase the weekend traveler traffic.
  • The train deadheads back to Albany on Friday night. I have to wonder how much this costs and if it would be worth delaying this deadhead say 4 hours and making it an actual train. This would permit folks from Albany to do a dinner and theater in Pittsfield and back in one night. I would seriously consider doing this.
  • As mentioned the folks in Pittsfield need to solve the last mile problem.
  • The train only runs in the summer. Massachusetts needs to consider extending it into the fall foliage months.
Overall, I'm not ready to say this will be a success. Honestly, given the traffic on today's train, it may well fail. BUT, I think it's a decent attempt that can be improved and given time, it may. I do like the fact that it leverages existing infrastructure and that's a good idea.
(minor edits for grammar and spelling)
 #1601944  by Train60

This image was taken after the first Berkshire Flyer train arrived at the transit center in Pittsfield. Looks like the operating crew, a few others from Amtrak, Senators Hinds and Lesser and MassDOT Secretary Tesler. Not sure about the others.

Image source
https://www.facebook.com/VisitTheBerksh ... 173986293/
Attachments:
291401286_10159591178926293_5952627030510273358_n.jpg
291401286_10159591178926293_5952627030510273358_n.jpg (369.64 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
 #1601948  by Railjunkie

Mr Moore
The Berkshire Flyer is AMT train #1235 for Pittsfield it departs on AMT#235 old time slot I believe. Which is ahead of Amt 49. I thinks the reason those folks missed the train in NYP was do to the confusion with the automated announcement system in Penn.

Guess CSX gave you a little bit of trouble getting into Pittsfield, waiting on something to clear. Not surprised if this happened or if it happens on the weekly. Lets see how Sunday goes as it comes from Pittsfield and connects to AMT244
 #1601975  by Greg Moore

You are correct. I was going on what one of the Amtrak reps said while we waited at Rensselaer. It's clear he misunderstand. And the Berkshire Eagle is reporting 8 passengers, not the 6 I heard. (I do suspect the Amtrak rep who said that did in fact get the two numbers confused.).
 #1601976  by Greg Moore

Train60 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:20 pm This image was taken after the first Berkshire Flyer train arrived at the transit center in Pittsfield. Looks like the operating crew, a few others from Amtrak, Senators Hinds and Lesser and MassDOT Secretary Tesler. Not sure about the others.

Image source
https://www.facebook.com/VisitTheBerksh ... 173986293/
Yes, the two in the caps were the conductor/assistant conductor on the train.
The gentleman 2nd from the left I believe said he was the trainmaster(?) and had ridden up from NYP and one 2nd from the right I caught his title but have since forgotten it.