Railroad Forums 

• Bergen County Line.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#100765  by MikeW

Do they run more stackpack trains or piggiebacks on the BCL?

#100837  by njt5140

There hasn't been a regular train on the BC since about 2001 when NS 25K got rerouted out the Lehigh Line. If there's a derailment on the River Line r something that causes it to close then a detour train will run down to BT where it'll go onto the NYS&W, but other than that there are no intermodals going through. Any traffic that used to run down the tier into Croxton either got abolished or rerouted via the Lehigh Line.
 #100922  by sullivan1985

MikeW wrote:Do they run more stackpack trains or piggiebacks on the BCL?
The bergen line runs right behind my house and I notice when frieght goes by because the frieght to passenger ratio is a very big differance.

The last stack trains I saw on the BCL where in the 2000-2001. The only place in bergen county now that I know you can see stack trains are on the NYS&W now and then and the CSX River Line about 5 maybe 6 times or more a day.

The only common frieght in the BCL is the NS H-88 (correct me if I'm wrong) that drills up the BCL to Suffern and back down the main line serving everything along the way depending on the day.

#101143  by CarterB

Are there any freights on the BCL during the night? How many each way?

#101150  by riffian

Through freights (Allentown to Campbell hall) 42A and 43A operate up and back the BCL at night. They take the loads to Suffern, then continue on to Campell Hall. Usually rate three large (SD-70/C44) units. Croxton based local H56 works the BCL during the week on weekdays. Suffern based local H55 works the Mainline on weekdays. This job will also work the Newark branch when necessary.

#101233  by njt4172

riffian wrote:Through freights (Allentown to Campbell hall) 42A and 43A operate up and back the BCL at night. They take the loads to Suffern, then continue on to Campell Hall. Usually rate three large (SD-70/C44) units. Croxton based local H56 works the BCL during the week on weekdays. Suffern based local H55 works the Mainline on weekdays. This job will also work the Newark branch when necessary.
Actually, the 42A and the 43A changed symbols about a year ago. They are now 32A and 33K respectively....

Steve

#101308  by trainfreak

Do the 32A and 33K run up at night daily?

#101321  by sullivan1985

trainfreak wrote:Do the 32A and 33K run up at night daily?
Its usually every other night. the units return light to Croxton in the morning of the following day or with empties much later in the same night.

#101683  by OCtrainguy

"Do the 32A and 33K run up at night daily?"

The 32A & 33K are trains between Croxton and Allentown. The power for these trains then goes up to/comes down from Campbell Hall. That train is the H-07, which goes to/from Croxton, Suffern & Campbell Hall. The H-07 is nocturnal and the 32A & 33K run during the day.

#104777  by BlockLine_4111

Tell me more about NS 25K. If it was pulled off the BCL/Tier does it use the LV right on up to Sayre to get back on the Tier ?

#104822  by njt4172

BLOCK,

THE 25K hasn't used the Tier since 2000 or so.... It goes from Croxton via the Lehigh line and then the Pittsburgh division to get to Chicago.....

Steve

#104826  by BlockLine_4111

Does this routing totally by-pass the Empire state ?

You mean it switches to the ex-RDG at Allentown as far as H-Burg and then switches to the ex-PC for the trip to the Windy City ?

#104890  by njt4172

BlockLine_4111 wrote:Does this routing totally by-pass the Empire state ?

You mean it switches to the ex-RDG at Allentown as far as H-Burg and then switches to the ex-PC for the trip to the Windy City ?

Yes, your right!
 #105456  by gravelyfan

Pretty good sized (at least 50 cars) H-07 departing west out of Croxton just before 4pm Wednesday.

No idea why it is running daylight today.

#108972  by AndyB

It was the eve of St.Patricks Day(last Wed. Night) and a group NYSME members, myself included, were having dinner at the Blarney Station in East Rutherford. This is a regular dinner stop for us before heading over to the club in Carlstadt for a night of "model" railroading. A front table by the windows gives an excellent view of the tracks to watch rush hour while dining.
It may have been the luck of the Irish or a Leprechaun with a fancy for trains, but as we sat there reminiscing about the freights that the Eire ran through here when it was four tracks wide, A horn was heard in the distance. Not one of those NJT ones, but something different. We all turned to the window and what to behold. Two locos and a forty plus cars, east bound.
A FREIGHT TRAIN!

Train was east bound. It was about 5:40pm, during rush hour. This is the first time I have seen a freight at this hour in twenty years. Any ideas on what train it was?

And no, it was not the beer!