Railroad Forums 

• Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad (BML) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1044813  by Cosmo

steamer69 wrote:Those comments would seem to imply (to me anywhay) that this guy is a few bricks short of a full load....not the sharpest knife in the drawer....the dull bulb in a bright tree....not playing with a full deck....inserting foot b into mouth a....

Hey buddy, this isn't Burgur King, you can not have it your way. You want it your way, go get a whopper.
You said it, "Brudda-Man." :wink:
 #1044825  by steamer69

Now where did I put that picture of the NYMBY bunker.......this would be another good usage.....
 #1060019  by gokeefe

highrail wrote:great pics!

Some time ago it was mentioned that the swedish train set had been sold and might be moved out. Has this happened yet, or does anyone know the status of the equipment?

Deid sümbødi aska 'bout de Meatabäll?
 #1060026  by gokeefe

Honestly, I haven't heard/seen a thing and I'm pretty sure it would have been reported here somewhere if that train had really moved.

Supposedly the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad in North Carolina had at one time signed an agreement to buy the entire set and an RDC from the B&ML. I can see no indication of this ever happenning.

Fair use quote:
Great Smoky Mountains Railroad adds additional steam loco

0 Email

Gene Bowker
Train Travel Examiner
+ Subscribe
In a press release the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad (GSMR) announced the purchase of an additional steam locomotive and coaches.

The GSMR in coordination with Rail Events Inc. has closed on the acquisition and purchase of Steam Locomotive # 1149 and a Budd Rail Diesel Car (RDC-1) and nine (9) passenger coaches from the Belfast and Moosehead Lake Railroad Preservation Society in Unity, Maine. Locomotive #1149 is a Swedish locomotive built in 1913 and exported to the United States in 1994. It is a coal burning locomotive with a 4-6-0 wheel configuration and a 5000 gallon coal tender. The locomotive was rebuilt and retubed in 1998 under Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) standards. The locomotive and passenger coaches have a Swiss coupling system and will operate together as a train set.

In addition, the GSMR picked up a RDC “Budd car” (learn more about RDC's here) which is capable of seating up to 84 passengers and is equipped with controls on each end. It has two 275hp diesel engines and has #6 air brakes with D-22 brake valves. The RDC may be coupled with additional passenger coaches and is ideal for photo special excursions operating from Dillsboro to Andrews.
 #1060711  by steamer69

I have been a little sceptical of this rumor from the begining. I would have guessed that any purchase of the equipment would have necesitated a move before now.

Maybe the former GM can get it and take to the newest railroad he's ruining.....I mean running.....
 #1183690  by MEC407

It's happening.

From the PenBay Pilot:
PenBay Pilot wrote:On Wednesday afternoon, Tom Falicon of the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad watched as workers dismantled the old Belfast & Moosehead Lake Railroad turntable at Unity Station. Nearby a crane loaded passenger coaches onto flatbed rail cars bound for points south.

"We bought them a few years back and now we've come to collect them," he said, referring to a 2010 deal in which Unity Foundation sold the last of its railroad assets to Bryson City, NC-based GSMRR in conjunction with Durango, Colo.-based Rail Events Inc.
. . .
A locomotive, tender and three passenger cars that were part of the original sale, had since been sold by GSMR to another company, Falicon said, and were bound for Discovery Park in Union City, Tenn. where he believed they were to be installed as part of an exhibit on technology.
Read more at: http://www.penbaypilot.com/article/form ... outh/13949
 #1193428  by S1f3432

On another website Wasatch Railroad Contractors is asking the railfan community to help the keep watch
of 6 carloads of ex-B&ML equipment headed west- currently reported to be in Danville Jct. for movement
west via CN. They are offering hats and gloves to people who facebook some pictures to them:

http://wrrc.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;