Railroad Forums 

• Beesley's Point Future

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1619549  by Bracdude181

Is Conrail going to do anything with the Beesleys Point Industrial Track at some point? As of Saturday all the crossings have no power and vegetation is beginning to reclaim the line. No sign of a recent train or high rail inspection. Nothing new at the power plant either besides the burning of an invasive plant species by the new owner of the site.
 #1619550  by jdh823

What do you want them to do with it? There's zero potential on that line.

You can't make something out of nothing.
 #1619551  by Bracdude181

When Seashore Lines did their STB filing for the BP Sec, they mentioned that Conrail retains operating rights down to Palermo (DCS PAL?) to maintain access to the IT.

For what reason would they do this if the sole reason trains were running there to begin with is now gone? The rumored construction waste trains haven’t happened and the rumored wind turbine trains probably aren’t gonna happen. Are they waiting to see what happens at BL England?
 #1619602  by WashingtonPark

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:02 pm When Seashore Lines did their STB filing for the BP Sec, they mentioned that Conrail retains operating rights down to Palermo (DCS PAL?) to maintain access to the IT.

For what reason would they do this if the sole reason trains were running there to begin with is now gone? The rumored construction waste trains haven’t happened and the rumored wind turbine trains probably aren’t gonna happen. Are they waiting to see what happens at BL England?
Conrail might have thought there would be some demolition hauls or new business but since a recreation area has been put in and the plan calls for residential properties it looks like like car storage, which is why CMSL wanted it, will be it's only future use. A former BL England substation to convert power for Ocean Winds Windmills is the only industrial use planned.
 #1619603  by Bracdude181

That or excursions, but if I’m honest I don’t really see a reason for CMSL to use it for excursions all the way to the coal plant unless they put something there that will draw heavy crowds during summer.

Wouldn’t take much to use that line for storage. Question is if Conrail is gonna hand it over to CMSL, when will they do it?
 #1619674  by pdtrains

Pardon my ignorance of specifics about south jersey, but...

Who actually owns Winslow Jct to Tuckahoe? State of NJ? CSAO? If CMSL just operator of the line now, or do they own it.
Makes absolutely no sense that CSAO would want to maintain ownership or operating rights from Tuckahoe to Beelsleys point, without Winslow Jct to Tuckahoe. If there was any long term, unit train potential, ud think they would have kept control of all of it.

My guess is that it all has something to do with money. LOL. I can see CMSL using the track to beesleys point for car storage.
 #1619738  by Dcell

jdh823 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:36 pm What do you want them to do with it? There's zero potential on that line.

You can't make something out of nothing.
Quite right. I'd like to see trains on this line again but it's a prime candidate for conversion to a rail trail.
 #1619742  by Bracdude181

We probably won’t see any sort of revenue freight again, but why does that mean the line should become a trail? As mentioned before there’s no reason CMSL can’t use the line for car storage should they be allowed to do so. There’s already a big amount of cars between Tuckahoe Station and DCS PALERMO. If Conrail ain’t gonna use it, why not let CMSL?

Additionally, the new owners of BL England say they are “working on plans for commercial, residential and recreational development at the site of the former coal-fired power plant” per this article:

https://ocnjsentinel.com/beesleys-point ... land-site/

Might be a bit of a stretch but depending on what they do, maybe it would be worth adding a train station there?
 #1619750  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:31 pm Might be a bit of a stretch but depending on what they do, maybe it would be worth adding a train station there?
Probably won't happen. At that point they should reopen the entire line into Ocean City as well, if NJT was going to run down to Beesley's Point
 #1619752  by Bracdude181

I meant for CMSL tourism trains. Only really be worth doing if they put something there that would warrant it though. Something that draws in a lot of people. Take the train there from Richland or Tuckahoe so you wouldn’t have to pay to park at whatever they’d put there, provided it was pay to park.

If only the tracks still went all the way to old train depot in Ocean City. Maybe then it’d be worth doing. Putting a station at the current end leaves passengers over three miles away from tourist destinations in the north end of town and like 7 blocks from the beach.
 #1619889  by Bracdude181

The mystery deepens.

Check this out:
Hmm…….. a BRAND NEW crossing on a vacant industrial track, complete with lights and everything.

I don’t know when exactly this was done but it can’t be over a year old. Why do this to a desolate track? Something doesn’t add up here…