• Beacon Park, Allston, MA (Boston)

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by aline1969

Does anyone know if this neat yard will go or stay. I heard once Harvard or BU wanted it, another time a mall... any news? Thanks

by Ironman

It will go. It will take longer now that CSX can't expand Westboro Yard due to the spotted turtles they found in the swamp.

by aline1969

spotted turtles....grrrr.... they can't spray for killer EEE because of those damm turltes. They seem to stop all human things.

by CSX Conductor

Supposedly Beacon Park has already been sold, or it is a "done deal" but nothing will be done until a new yard is built to replace it.

As for Westboro, it might still be made a van site as the endangered turtles is no longer an issue.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

where would a new yard be built if it can't be done in Westboro? is there any room along the mainline near Worcester?

by Ironman

Westboro will be the spot. It's just a matter of when. There is alot of pressure to close Beacon Park, it will happen. I agree with CSX Conductor; I think it's already been sold.

Westboro will most likely repalce East Worcester yard too.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

will they use the original yard or make it a much larger yard that can holds lots more? how many tracks are in that yard now? 7?

by CSX Conductor

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:how many tracks are in that yard now? 7?
6 tracks that used to be for spotting auto racks plus 4 yard tracks ajacent to the main-line.

The site which they are eyeing to be the replacement for Beacon Park will be just west of BFI (approximately MP QB 51) to the north of the main-line. :wink: