Railroad Forums 

• BCRail equipment?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#66488  by 2spot

What has become of BCRails locomotives and rolling stock since CNs takeover? Is it being absorbed into CN, sold or scrapped? I really should go look for myself, I know, (and I will) but maybe someone could give me a heads up. thanks. 2spot:D

#67087  by SRS125

maybe there repainting everything? I my self have seen quite a large number of BC Rail Cars here in the northeast vary weaird sents there vary rare birds to see here. If anything them repowered RS18 Cats would have been cast off to Mexico or scraped?
 #67097  by Ken V

2spot wrote:What has become of BCRails locomotives and rolling stock since CNs takeover? Is it being absorbed into CN, sold or scrapped?
Yes to each question... Almost all of BC Rail's hardware was transferred to CN as part of the purchase/lease agreement. Exceptions include the new "passenger" train for Lillooet. Some equipment will be scrapped, many pieces will be repainted when they go in for other work, a few will be sold, and the rest will roll on until their day comes.

#67649  by 2spot

Thanks Ken V for the info. SRS125 too. Were there any other ALCos(or MLWs) left on BCRail tracks besides the Cat repowered RS18s? There used to be lots. All too soon there wont be any if this keeps up. Werent there a handful of M420s around? Some should be preserved.

#67816  by missthealcos

There are no Alcos on the Property, the last 4 M420's were sold nearly 2 years ago(to Ontario Southland) The cats(and the RS-3 slugs) are high on the elimination suspect list..I haven't seen one for close to a month now.

The only other power I can see leaving would be the B36-7' s which were garbage when BC Rail purchased them, and were already being thinned before the takeover. The B39-8's are leased, so who know what will happen to them..also, I suppose the C36-7E's are also likely to go. BC Rails motive power is in poor shape due to the very half assed way the railway has been run in recent years, due to constant gov't meddling.

Such a sad state of affairs for what was a very high calibre operation.

#67922  by SRS125

It is a sad to hear about the BC going under. Many of there cars have made there way here to the east coast if anything there in Montral being repainted.

Its like here in New York CSX trackage and locos are junk all of the Conrail locos were sent south while all southern junk was sent north. Its looking loike the Penn Central Days here.

#68677  by 2spot

Any idea where I should look for the RS18Cats? The Squamish shops, the deadrail outside of Prince George,or not on BCR property at all. I'd like at least some pics before theyre gone.

#68678  by SRS125

If there not on the property thay could be in Mexico. Or on a ship bound for a new home in anouther country. In Montreal? Or fear the worst a scrap dealer.

#68790  by missthealcos

I think they are in PG