Railroad Forums 

• Bay Coast Railroad

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#525179  by Bartman-tn

I and the Southern Appalachia Railway Museum had the trip scheduled for last year that was delayed due to the cars not showing up.

We are already working with the railroad to operate a series of railfan trips over the entire line. You can check out our website (www.southernappalachia.railway.museum) for details on this and other trips we are running around the country.

Bart

#526172  by chefwrg

I'll be over at Cape Charles on sunday. If the Edwards car is there, I'll take a photo of it.

#538833  by VaCentralRwy

Bay Coast finally is ready for the public to ride. Here's an article from the Eastern Shore News. Whether this will last after the novelty wears off is a different question. Northampton County's beauty is the water not the scenery viewed from the tracks.

http://www.delmarvanow.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 304/-1/ESN[/url]
 #556436  by Bartman-tn

The SARM Charter between Cape Charles and Pocomoke City is on for Thanksgiving week, Sunday (11/23) and Monday (11/24).

Tickets will be sold first to those who had reservations on the 2007 trips cancelled due to the late delivery of the cars.

Check out www.southernappalachia.railway.museum for details.

Bart Jennings
 #609870  by Bartman-tn

The two days of charters on the Bay Coast between Cape Charles and Pocomoke ran as planned each day using car 316. Photos of the trip will soon be on the website of the Southern Appalachia Railway Museum.

Bart Jennings
 #613192  by Bartman-tn

The trips were good.

We started each day by posing 316 on the ferry bridge at Cape Charles and then worked our way north. Each day, lunch at Parlsley and the museum tour lasted about 2 hours. When we reached Pocomoke, we posed 316 next to the tower both days for photos. On the way south, we stopped at Exmore for servicing, night photos, and a tour of the small museum in the depot building there.

I hope to get photos on-line sometime soon at the Museum's website...
 #656893  by ajt

Anyone with current info on the freight operation in Cape Charles and north to Pocomoke - normal days operated, crew call times, etc? Same for Little Creek?
 #662243  by VaCentralRwy

Stopped by the Bay Coast in Cape Charles on Thursday (4/16). Business is not exactly booming with the economy doing so well. They will be shipping out of large loads from Bayshore Concrete in Cape Charles later this year. Last spring they shipped a variety of loads on KRL heavyweight flats to a power plant in California. This year, it's similar but going to more than one location so they're starting to stockpile heavyweight flats. The current plan is to load they as the loads are ready, and store them until they all get shipped at once. Caught the southbound train between Nassawaddox and Birdsnest with 20+ QTTX 8-axle flats along with a WC boxcar and two chemical tanks.
On the Easternb Shore side, they are truly running as needed. If NS isn't coming down with cars to Pocomoke City, there's little reason to spend crew coasts and diesel fuel to make the long roundtrip.
 #664085  by chefwrg

Are they doing any track work at all on the Eastern Shore? It looked pretty bad the last time I was over there.....
 #664802  by Sand Box John

"chefwrg"
Are they doing any track work at all on the Eastern Shore? It looked pretty bad the last time I was over there.....

Norfolk Southern had a crew changing out rotten ties south of Fruitland last fall. Maryland DOT gave a grant to Maryland Delaware to do some rehabilitation work west of Herlock.

Two grade crossing that I know of were rebuilt in the last 18 months. Maryland Delaware crossing of East New Market Rhodesdale Road in East New Market, That was part of a the MD SHA rehabilitation project of Main Street and Railroad Road in East New Market. Norfolk Southern crossing of Naylor Mill Road in Salisbury.
 #705087  by PVRX1

Went by last week. There appeared to have been some recent tie replacement, some ballast hoppers in a siding, some ditching and brush cutting going on along Route 13.

Also Little Creek was nearly bare. GP38 2014 was tied down near the ferry slip with 3 or 4 covered hoppers. The row of old passenger equipment still sits by the enginehouse, the S4 (presumed scrapped) and MRS1 (presumed moved to the Delmarva side) unit are gone. Only one flat car at the south end of the yard.
 #710259  by ShortlinesUSA

Thank you for the update on the BCRR. Has 2014 been relettered or repainted for Bay Coast or is it still in Eastern Shore colors and lettering?
 #710654  by SwampRat

2014 is still in ESHR lettering, the S1 and MRS1 are parked behind the fence on the little creek base lead.