Railroad Forums 

• Battleship Cove trackage in Fall River, MA.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1343540  by Teutobergerwald

On way up to beach in Maine on vacation last week, we stopped off at Fall River, MA to see the USS Massachusetts and USS Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr. at Battleship Cove. While driving in, we crossed over some trackage that went down to the water, to our left, while to our right there was stub-ended trackage with mostly gray HOKX tankcars and assorted covered hoppers occupying the tracks. There was also other trackage with museum-grade equipment spotted on it- NYNH&H 40' boxcar, green NYC System caboose, stainless Budd RDC, etc. Anybody know more about this trackage, who serves it, the product and the museum-grade equipment that is there, too? We were pressed for time, so I couldn't investigate further while there myself. Thanks.
 #1343583  by GP40MC1118

The tank cars are for Borden-Remington. They use a trackmobile to get their cars in and
out of the yard there. Covered hoppers on the State Pier are for the Gold Medal Bakery
south of the Cove.

Mass Coastal serves Fall River (and New Bedford too).

D
 #1343865  by MickD

It was a great town to grow up..
My family had a house there for 23 years..
The Main Line & The Bergen County Line
junctioned at the end of the street we
lived on..Valley Rd..
 #1343946  by boatsmate

The Museum is a great take also. I used to belong, and we worked hard to restore some of the cars, including the Budd. It was a former MBTA Budd, it had some sort of fire in it, at one time. but we restored the interior of the car, Floors mostly. the last I knew the one engine it had still ran, however it is on the opposite end that the transmission is on.

if you ever get the chance to stop in I would suggest it.

Capt Bill