Railroad Forums 

• Barriger Photo Collecton Online

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1247886  by NKP1155

If you have not seen them yet, the John Barriger photos are now on-line. He, or his staff took photos from the read platform of moving trains or stepped off at station stops and made a record. This is incredible stuff, time travel mile by mile.

CORRECTED LINK TO NYC PHOTOS:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerli ... 332517193/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1247917  by BR&P

Great site - thanks for posting! I'd give it 2 thumbs up.
 #1247991  by charlie6017

NYCfan0711 wrote:Many of the photos unfortunately appear backwards.
Yes, this is very true. The good thing is the curator of the John W. Barriger III National Railroad Library
is aware of the problem and has been working to reverse and fix the photos as he goes.

Also, here's a copy of a post from the PRR Group I belong to with a suggestion from another member on
ways we can fix it for our own viewing while waiting for the photos to be adjusted on the website.
Just a suggestion: for a photo that is really intriguing, it is an easy procedure to download the photo then open it with a simple photo editing program such as Paint, Picasa, Irfanview or some other. You then edit a reversed photo with the horizontal flip option. You can also use rotate if upside down or sideways. Save the edited photo to view later.
Charlie
 #1248121  by Otto Vondrak

Here's the link to the New York Central photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerli ... 332517193/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-otto-
 #1249267  by pjpickard

Just an FYI guys it seems that more and more are being added, so don't assume that once you have looked at the NYC set that is all there is. I certainly hope there are more to come! I finally have a view of something I have been looking for years for.

I do wish I knew the locations of all the pics though.

Paul
 #1249285  by RSD15

A few locations, all looking east at Utica NY.
E116 looking at UA tower 30.
E117 O&W freight house on the right
E118 Ex RW&O roundhouse at left
E119 west of Utica, Yorkville?

Next Dewitt looking east
E121 Minoa NY Dewitt east end
E122 Dewitt yd to the left.
E123 CP SE todays cp283
E124 Dewitt west bound hump

Charles
 #1249402  by BR&P

NYCfan0711 wrote:Many of the photos unfortunately appear backwards.
This bears repeating. The LV file has a great many pics reversed and it's quite likely the same goes for the NYC stuff. If you see something that almost looks familiar but not quite, try reversing it.

I see some photos have comments and locations noted, but I was unable to access it for that. I presume you have to have a flikr account? Maybe someone who CAN do that can take the info we gather here and post it to help others.
 #1249542  by Clif

I reversed Erie 002, and it turns out to be the NYC-Erie crossing on the southside in Corning NY. Once a very busy place, being the Erie NY to buffalo and NY to Chicago mainline crossed the NYC east of Cleveland coal supply mainline.

The image has you looking up the Erie mainline eastwards towards Elmira, Binghamton , Port Jervis and eventually Jersey City.

The two tracks crossing are the old Fallbrook Railway, which the NYC gained control of in 1899. They lead to Geneva and Lyons NY on the NY to Chicago mainline.

All of the coal the NYC used east of Cleveland came up these tracks from Pennsylvania mines.
Erie NYC Corning.jpg
This area is now Denison Parkway (Erie mainline) and Wegmans (NYC yard area) in Corning. The bridge in the background was the Bridge ST bridge across the NYC yard area.
 #1249689  by RSD15

Some more

E58 Syracuse cpJG now CSX cp291
E59 Syracuse inner harbor bridge
E60 Solvay NY West Shore bridge abutments
E61 Solvay NY w/b signals cpSJ CSXcp293
E62 Solvay NY tower 2 Syracuse jct
E63 e/b signals at cpSJ CSX293 West Shore bridges at left
E64 Belle Isle Allied Chemical Solvay Process at right

these are all reversed
526 East Syracuse station
527 Dewitt west end
528 Dewitt west end 502 tower
529 East Syracuse were the freight and passenger mains split
530 East Syracuse GS operator office
531 East Syracuse e/b signals at cp286

I've posted info to flickr as BR&P suggested
Charles
 #1249835  by Jack Shufelt

Charles,

Regarding photograph E59. As you know the photographs are mixed as to area. While you may well be correct on the location it also looks like bridge #342 at mileage 135.80 +/- west of Castleton on the Hudson Division. It also fits on the basis that track 4 was lifted in the early 30's after the depression hit and old main track 3 was downgraded to a siding to facilitate the switching of the Fort Orange Paper Company at Castleton. Concurrently Tower 95 at Castleton was closed. What was the mile post location of the Syracuse Inner Harbor Bridge? When was the fourth track lifted at that location and what was the track numbering?

Jack
 #1250242  by RSD15

Jack,

The bridge is located at mp291. the bridge in the distance is INT81, to the left is Onondaga Lake and to the right is the present day Destiny Shopping center.
The removed track is a mystery to me, it seams to have been removed in the early 50s maybe a controlled siding for trains moving through Syracuse jct. The track on the
left is an industrial track that turned to the right to the ex RW&O yard known as Salina yard.

Today the tracks are from left track 1 track 2 and the NYS&W.

In older NYC times it would be Track 4 track 3. Tracks 1 2 and 5 went through the city.
At the elevated station the tracks were numbered from north to south.

Charles