Railroad Forums 

• BAR Dynomometer Car

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#46935  by Realityrail

A while back, I saw a posting on the internet about the former BAR Dynomometer car. If my memory is correct, it was shown stored on a private siding in Bangor near Broadway Street.

Does any one know of the location, owner or condition of this car?

#47019  by sandpvrr

Reality Rail and all,
I don't know if one of them is the dynometer car (although its a strong possibility, as I remember hearing that as well) but there is a privately owned collection of cars (about 8 or 10) located at MP 34 - literally - the 34 sign is perhaps 100 feet from one of the cars. Also if Memory serves, its Ohio street at that point, although I could be wrong. Union, Ohio, Broadway all run parallel in Bangor, so one can get twisted around as to get from NMJ to MP 34, you're going almost due North, and the roads to East /west, meaning you take a lot of side roads.
I have pictures taken of those cars, if you're looking for some.
Have fun all!
cya, Joey

#47177  by mwhite

The Dynamometer Car is in fact in Bangor, next to the Ohio Street crossing. When you get to the crossing you can't miss it and the other cars. I posted photos of the Dynamometer Car a while back on NERAIL (currently out of service). Unfortunately someone has tried to preserve these cars by doing things like putting cheap light blue vinyl siding on them. Nevertheless, you'll recognize the car when you see it's round roof.

BTW, I have several more old photos of this car when it was in use. Maybe when NERAIL Photos is back up I'll get my butt in gear and post them.