Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #725854  by [email protected]

I have recently acquired a boiler plate from Locomotive #20289, built in April 1902 by Baldwin Locomotive Works / Burnham Williams & Company. I would like to know more history about this locomotive, if/where I can find a photo of one, and what is something like this worth? I really would appreciate any help anyone can offer. It is in beautifully perfect condition and I will email pictures of the front and back to anyone who can help, or anyone who would just like to see it!
Also, someone scribed the back of the plate with this information:
LOCOMOTIVE
C.M.sf P. & P.R.R.
I know the P.R.R. stands for Pennsylvania Rail Road, but I don't know and can't figure out what the rest stands for. I am really looking forward to finding out more information about this unique and rare find, and I thank you for your time in reading this!
 #725875  by 2nd trick op

I'm afraid you're a little off base even from the start on this one: The initails "C. M. St. P. & P. R. R." would stand for "Chicago., Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroar", usually referred to as simply "The Milwaukee Road" by most railroad buffs.

"20289" is the serial "construction' number assigned by the builder, Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia. "1070" is the "road number" under which the locomotive operated at the time the Milwaukee disposed of it --- locomotives were sometimeds renumbered during the course of their service,

The Milwaukee has its own site in the "Fallen Flags" section of this forum (it was dissiolved and the lion's share of the trackage turned over to Canadian Pacific subsidiary Soo Line in 1986), and the moderators will likely reassign your post to that forum. Like most vanished major railroads, it has a historical society dedicated to the preservation of its memory; a link is posted below.

http://www.mrha.com/

Railroad.net is involved primarily in the discussion and interchange of a wide range of railroad-reated information rather than the sale of artifacts. My advice would be to learn a bit more about the origins of the article, starting with the site previouskly cited.
Last edited by 2nd trick op on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:31 am, edited 4 times in total.