Railroad Forums 

• Bad Day For LSRC

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#498886  by krobar

Has anyone contacted the folks on the Delaware-Lackawanna about these units? I bet Alcodoc could use them.

#498946  by Patrick

Both were indeed rebuilt by MK for the B&M. They were however, both 1800 HP.

#498986  by thebigham

GVT is not interested. They have too many units that need repairing.

#499063  by Patrick

Correct, I emailed them a couple weeks ago already about the alcos for sale and got a similar responce.

#501427  by Alcoman

Patrick wrote:the rs11 needs an electrical rebuild. A contractor was piad to do it, took all the wires out of the electrical cabnet, and ran off with the money never finishing the work. other than that.. shes a great runner.

974 RS3M - supposedly has a bent frame, but the loco runs GREAT. was involved in a derailment not long ago. Has bent steps but other than that i can't see where the frame is bent at all. shes repairable.

975 RS3M - Has a bad crankshaft

469 RS2U - Needs all new seal and gaskets. but looks Great.
I understand that 974 and 975 are back in Alpena. One of the units has had its prime mover removed. Any other updates?

#502363  by GLC 392

i was told the 1195 and 975 are/were at rifkin in Saginaw. Rifkin as i understand it is a scrapper not sure if they are gone yet, if not they are close.

#502379  by MarkVZ

As of January 5, 975 was on the dead line in Alpena with its hood opened and generator removed. 1195 was in a storage stall in the roundhouse, missing its electrical cabinet as has been the case for some time now.

#502650  by Patrick

Mark, the 1195 is indeed at rifkin. I took pics of it in Saginaw yard since Jan 5th. someone reported they saw the 975 in rifkin, but now I have reports of it still being in Alpena as of yesterday, which leads me to think maybe they're seeing the 3504 in rifkin because it sat behind the shed in Bay city dead for a couple 3 months and it finally was moved 2 weeks ago to saginaw. I I dont know for sure. As I have said on my site, I made multiple phone calls for 2 weeks straight trying to get all these units new homes and the most anyone would pay is 15 K which didnt sit well with LSRC. They're getting 30 plus from rifkin for scrap. Units to be scrapped should including eventually, 3504?? 974, 975, 1195, 698. RS2U is reported to have been spared though I dont know for what or whom. I'm going to try to find out ASAP.

#502702  by thebigham

Thanks for trying, Patrick.

#502724  by GLC 392

any idea how long the 1195 might sit at rifkin before they completely scrap it? or is it already gone? any idea how long the 974, 975 and the 698 will be around? and also what RS2U are you talkign abotu and can you PM me on who is looking at it?

#502775  by thebigham

From LocoNotes at Yahoo Groups:

Two former Lake States Railway M420`s, now WGRS 2003, WGRS 2004 are currently in transit at CSX Barr yard.

Ken Lanovich

#502828  by GLC 392

ok thank you thats what i thought.

#503005  by GLC 392

not to change the subject but was the 3500 the only one delivered to LSRC in that Gray & red paint? and when it was delivered to LSRC what 2 units arrived with it in CN paint? i have a picture of 3 LSRC units in Durnad heading north but cant tell the engine numbers.

#503071  by Patrick

the question regaurding the M420's is best left for a new thread.. but if you click on the msn group link in my signature, my site has just about any info you need on those and any other LSRC unit. As far as PM'ing you on whos looking at it, its a bussiness deal not a railfan event.. therefore i wont release any info. Being that I dont know whos looking at the RS2U myself.. i didnt have anything to do with whatever plans LSRC has for it.