Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1537237  by NS VIA FAN

VIA's Ocean crosses the St. Lawrence River on the historic Pont de Quebec to serve Quebec City at the suburban Sainte-Foy Station.

https://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-re ... d=13400#i1

Here the westbound Ocean has arrived in Joffre Yard at 6:30am and with the F40s leading....heads forward through Charny and out across the Quebec Bridge to Sainte Foy on the northshore.

Arriving at Gare Sainte-Foy for a 15 minute servicing stop and operating crew change.....

(VIA provides a shuttle to/fr Gare du Palais downtown)

Last edited by NS VIA FAN on Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1537238  by NS VIA FAN

Now to return to CN's Halifax-Montreal mainline on the southshore of the St. Lawrence.....we have to back-up 3 1/2 miles to Joffre Yard. Here a crew member takes a rear seat in the Park Car's Bullet-Lounge for the move:

At Charny we take the east leg of the wye. The track on the right goes to West Junction and is used by the eastbound Ocean and all Quebec <> Montreal corridor trains.

After Levis Station closed in 1998 and until 2012 when the Ocean started running over to Ste.Foy.....Charny was the stop for Quebec City and the Ocean just backed into or out of Charny using that track on the right.

Last edited by NS VIA FAN on Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1537240  by NS VIA FAN

We continue backing around the wye and into Joffre Yard.

Now we head forward.....passing the east leg of the wye we just used......then on through West Junction....across the Chaudiere River with the tops of the bridges and skyline of Quebec in the distance and onto Montreal.

#1537248  by BAR

Thanks for the terrific and informative photos. Brought back memories of a speeder trip we took from Sainte Foy to Shawinigan and return. Trip coordinator tried to get us a side trip across the bridge but that didn't work out.

BAR
Williamsburg, VA
 #1537279  by BAR

Your post prompted a question. How does the train from Montreal to Quebec City operate in crossing the bridge and serve both Saint Foy and Quebec City? It seems that there must be a backup move involved in order to serve both stations.

Thanks for any information.

BAR
Williamsburg, VA
 #1537314  by NS VIA FAN

BAR wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:49 pm Your post prompted a question. How does the train from Montreal to Quebec City operate in crossing the bridge and serve both Saint Foy and Quebec City? It seems that there must be a backup move involved in order to serve both stations.
There is no backup involved. A train from Montreal crosses the Bridge to Sainte-Foy then makes a wide loop......13 miles north and east around the city to Gare du Palais downtown:

#1537319  by BAR

NS VIA FAN,
Thanks for explaining how Via travels from Sainte-Foy to Quebec City. Very helpful and I was able to trace the route on a map.

When we were on our trackcar trip in 2009 I think I recall going through a tunnel somewhere when we were in the Quebec City area. Our eventual excursion route took us to Trois Rivieres and then on to Shawinigan. I wish I had kept better notes on the excursion. I know we saw several Via trains come through Sainte Foy while we were setting the trackcars on the rails and we also looked at an outdoor model railroad there.

BAR
Williamsburg, VA
 #1537330  by NS VIA FAN

BAR wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:57 pm When we were on our trackcar trip in 2009 I think I recall going through a tunnel somewhere when we were in the Quebec City area. Our eventual excursion route took us to Trois Rivieres and then on to Shawinigan. I wish I had kept better notes on the excursion. I know we saw several Via trains come through Sainte Foy while we were setting the trackcars on the rails and we also looked at an outdoor model railroad there.
A little googling....and I think this might have been your trip:

(scroll down to Sept 5-7 2009, St Maurice Valley Railway)

https://www.narcoa.org/excursions/2009trips.html#SEP

You mention a tunnel in Quebec: This was probably the Wolfe's Cove Tunnel. It links the CPR mainline (now Quebec Gatineau Rwy) down to the harbour front. Canadian Pacific's Transatlantic Empress Liners once docked here and connecting Boat Trains ran to/from Montreal through the tunnel.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/tra ... uebec-city

So just guessing here......your route was probably east from Ste-Foy on the CN line to the docks along the St. Lawrence River.....then up through the tunnel under the St-Sacrement area of the city to a jct with the Quebec Gatineau Railway and west to Trois-Riviere.

I revised the map here....adding a few more labels....

And this might be of interest.......just west of the VIA Ste-Foy Station is a massive trestle at Cap-Rouge. It's on CN's former National Transcontinental Railway to northern Quebec. It sees limited service (no passenger)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPZi8hWsMpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSBHiDGHqzc
 #1537347  by BAR

NS VIA FAN,

Thanks very much for your reply along with the photos, video and annotated map. You answered all of my questions. Since it was so long ago I didn't think about checking the NARCOA website for past excursions. In any case you jogged my memory and I really thank you for your efforts and sharing your knowledge of the area.

After looking at the photo you sent it was definitely the Wolf Cove Tunnel that we went through. As you correctly surmised we started the excursion by heading east from Sainte Foy along the St. Lawrence, through the tunnel, and then west toward Joliette where we spent the night. Next day's travel was east to Shawinigan and then south to Trois-Rivieres where we overnighted. Last day was back to Sainte Foy and shortly before arrival we crossed the impressive Cap Rouge Trestle. Great trip.

Thanks once again and all the best.

BAR
Williamsburg, VA