Railroad Forums 

• Back-to-Back

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #476672  by Johnny F

I was southbound on New Highway this afternoon around 3:45 or so, about 50 yards north of the mainline opposite Coastal. Within 5 minutes of each other, 2 NY&A westbound freights came through, quickly followed by a short eastbound passenger train. I thought it unusual for two freights to be so close together, especialy in the same direction. Was this a special movement of some kind or were things just backed up? Thanks.

#476690  by SwingMan

They've run closer.....lirr415-Peter

#476743  by Scrap em Again

It happens every so often. Some crews work diffrent sidings between KO and Farm. Sometimes they "piggyback" on each other all the way to Pond. And easier for block operators to throw switches and signals. 2 trains take a route, for the price of one.

#476747  by Spartan Phalanx

I passed over Pine-Aire this afternoon around 1:50 and some of those guys were working down towards the east end of the siding, backing into the spur down there.Thus, there were three separate cuts of cars on the siding, a short one in the middle and a longer one with power on the west end well past the Sagtikos Pkwy. overpass, which was my vantage point.

#477334  by tj48

Forgive my ignorance, but what is KO?

#477350  by John 61

KO is the railroad block term for Ronkonkoma.

#477428  by tj48

Thanks. You learn something new every day.

#477473  by SwingMan

I know :-) . lirr415-Peter

#477481  by Johnny F

Thanks Scrap. I thought maybe I missed the "green flags" on the first one through!