Railroad Forums 

• Bachmann HO Scale Auto-Reversing Track Kit Issue

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1605095  by NaugyRR

Hey Everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with Bachmann's auto-reverse track?

I bought a brand-new HO kit and followed the less than stellar instructions, finding that whatever I run on the tracks will run to the end of the line, stop, and then not return.

The tracks are labeled A-A, B-A, and B-B, so it's not rocket science to install. The two bumpers are marked with B, the two reversing sections are marked B-B, the transition section B-A, and the main sections A-A. So in practice, the sections should be from bumper to bumper... B ~ B-B ~ B-A ~ A-A ~ A-A ~ A-B ~ B-B ~ B

The joiners are good and solid, the rails are flat and level, connections all look good, wiring is good. One odd thing I've found is the track is getting power even with the control dial turned in the home, 'off' position. If I place a unit on the tracks and the power toggle is selected to on, the unit will run without turning the dial up.

I did contact Bachmann, but the response I received from them was to "Please Goggle online how to set up Bachmann reversing track kit to see how to set up to make sure it is set up right after this and this still will not reverse you can return the kit to us and we will test here for you".

Before I return it to Bachmann, I just want to see if anyone here has any tips or pointers. I think the controller might be DOA, but I've never had experience with auto-reverse either.

Thanks!
Jesse
 #1605170  by NaugyRR

Got the issue resolved, it ended up being a rolling stock issue and not a problem with the track. The first two units I tried were an old Bachmann generic streetcar and an AHM MBTA Type 6, both of which I now realize need servicing.

Yesterday I tried a newer Atlas HH660 and it worked like a champ. Luckily I have new in the box MBTA and NJT Bachmann PCC's that should run fine.

I'm still curious about the controller sending constant power to the track when on, despite the dial turned in the home position.