Railroad Forums 

• Babock & Wilcox SW-1

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#298630  by PRRGuy

I am looking for EMD SW1 xxx Buffalo Creek #42, xx CSS&SB #601, x Columbus & Greenville #514.
Frame E303-1
Builder number #1026.

I've heard it's an industrial switcher for Babcock & Wilcox..possibly at West Point, MS?

#315925  by joeychance

Are you looking for that specific SW? This may have been aquired by Watco Industries in the last few years. Although I do need states and lines to help out!

#316284  by PRRGuy

Yep, I'm putting together a roster of all the locomotives owned by the CSS&SB..this SW was the first diesel owned by the railroad.

I'm not sure on the area of the Buffalo Creek railroad, but the "South Shore" was in northwest Indiana and the Columbus and Greenville I believe is in Mississippi. Rumor has it the sw1 was at a location callight High Point, MS? I'm not too sure that though.

The CSS&SB recieved the loco around 1956-58 and was sold in the 70's to the C&G

#316354  by Aa3rt

PRRGuy wrote:I'm not sure on the area of the Buffalo Creek Railroad, but the "South Shore" was in northwest Indiana and the Columbus and Greenville I believe is in Mississippi. Rumor has it the sw1 was at a location callight High Point, MS?
The Buffalo Creek Railroad was a switching line, jointly owned by the Erie (later Erie Lackawanna) and the Lehigh Valley south of the Buffalo River, serving many flour mills.

More information at:

http://www.buffalonian.com/history/indu ... oads1.html

The C&G was a Mississippi operation.
 #468286  by tomjohn

Aa3rt wrote:
PRRGuy wrote:I'm not sure on the area of the Buffalo Creek Railroad, but the "South Shore" was in northwest Indiana and the Columbus and Greenville I believe is in Mississippi. Rumor has it the sw1 was at a location callight High Point, MS?
The Buffalo Creek Railroad was a switching line, jointly owned by the Erie (later Erie Lackawanna) and the Lehigh Valley south of the Buffalo River, serving many flour mills.

More information at:
http://www.buffalonian.com/history/indu ... oads1.html The C&G was a Mississippi operation.

Here's abit more on the BUFFALO CREEK RAILROAD:

The BUFFALO CREEK RAILROAD was a terminal and switching line in at the edge of the Buffalo River and around an area called SOUTH BUFFALO. The BUFFALO CREEK RAILROAD served ADM, General Mills, ConAgra, Pilsbury Flour and a cement plant on the waterfront of LAKE ERIE at one time it connected with the SOUTH BUFFALO RAILWAY.The BUFFALO CREEK RAILROAD was all ALCO it never owned EMDs, It eventually ended up as a CONRAIL property some time in the 1980's it's now part of CSX .

My best friends dad worked for the BCK RR,I grew up during the N&W -NKP, WABASHmerger "the ALPHABET ROUTE merger", including the most famous ill-fated merger PENN CENTRAL!

I hope this helps a bit .

Tom S.
Formerly of HAMBURG , NY
 #468653  by tomjohn

As Mr. Audley knows I grew up in HAMBURG,NY which is south of Buffalo,NY, I spent 40 years in Hamburg,NY.The town of HAMBURG hosts the 2nd largest County Fair in the Country. Yes, The BUFFALO CREEK RR at one time did sample a EMD switcher and found unreliable due to BCK's track and BCK RR remained true to ALCO until their inclusion in CONRAIL ...

Tom
 #470788  by tomjohn

The Buffalo Creek RR served the milling district on the south side of Buffalo and was jointly owned by the Lehigh Valley and Erie-Lackawanna. The 6 route-mile long line fielded an all Alco roster, though they owned an EMD SW1 at one time (reportedly the little EMD did not track well on the line's tight rails and had a nasty habit of picking switch points). The railroad became Conrail property along with it's owners, although Big Blue waited until 1978 to assimilate the line. Though the shops are gone, most of it's trackage is still in existence today, and in fact part of it's line, including the drawbridge over the Buffalo River became part of the Conrail NY-Chicago mainline, allowing CR to bypass the tight curve on it's ex-NYC mainline at the junction with the Falls branch.
The Buffalo Creek was known nationwide because of it's fleet of over 1000 of these 40' boxcars with the white flour bag emblem. Since they lacked a car shop, these cars were maintained by parent Erie-Lackawanna at their Meadville, PA shops. This car is at Binghamton, NY on 9/4/83.
 #470791  by tomjohn

The Buffalo Creek RR served the milling district on the south side of Buffalo and was jointly owned by the LEHIGH VALLEY and ERIE-LACKAWANNA. The 6 route-mile long line fielded an all ALCO roster, though they owned an EMD SW1 at one time (reportedly the little EMD did not track well on the line's tight rails and had a nasty habit of picking switch points). The railroad became Conrail property along with it's owners, although Big Blue waited until 1978 to assimilate the line. Though the shops are gone, most of it's trackage is still in existence today, and in fact part of it's line, including the drawbridge over the Buffalo River became part of the Conrail NY-Chicago mainline, allowing CR to bypass the tight curve on it's ex-NYC mainline at the junction with the Falls branch. The Buffalo Creek was known nationwide because of it's fleet of over 1000 of these 40' boxcars with the white flour bag emblem. Since they lacked a car shop, these cars were maintained by parent Erie-Lackawanna at their Meadville, PA shops.

I am sorry for the confusion on the EMD SW. I think it went to The old DONNER-HANNA FURNACE and was lettered for Donner-Hanna, which operated the track at the former BUFFALO & SUSQUEHANNA RY Iron company /Rogers Iron works in South BUFFALO -LACKAWANNA,NY.

Tom

#470871  by PRRGuy

Thanks for the history of the railroad from where this unit came from! Does anybody know if this loco is still around?