Railroad Forums 

• B32-8WH Fleet Status and Usage

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1577186  by Graeme Salt

Can anyone advise the status and typical usage of the B32-8WH fleet please? I had assumed they were mainly used as switching and work engines nowadays, but searching online I was able to find some relatively recent photos of examples of the type in revenue service.
 #1577385  by amtrakhogger

The 512/13/14 were based out of DC for a while and were used DC south (VA/FL/NC) and west (CHI.)
 #1577422  by WhartonAndNorthern

Graeme Salt wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:29 am Can anyone advise the status and typical usage of the B32-8WH fleet please? I had assumed they were mainly used as switching and work engines nowadays, but searching online I was able to find some relatively recent photos of examples of the type in revenue service.
I know a couple are used as the yard switchers at both the Sanford and Lorton AutoTrain terminals. They're sometimes shuttled back and forth for inspections and repairs. And some days, one is called on to pinch hit:

The usual AutoTrain power is 2 overhauled P40DC's.
 #1577554  by amtrakhogger

The 514 came over today from Lorton with a P42 on a transfer to DC.