Railroad Forums 

• B&P out of Salamanca-Where too?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1504608  by SST

While I know that a train comes to Buffalo almost every night, does anything move south...to be specific..to Dubois, Pa? How much? Or in reverse, how much comes up into Salamanca and heads to Buffalo? This line has grabbed my attention "south of the border." I have been going back to Dubois a couple of times due to the Little Depot Restaurant at the JCT of I-80 and rt219. This has become my little "Get out of the house" road trip. Bike path there too.

While riding the path, I took this picture and really was not certain what its reference point is. The marker is 199-0. I don't think its Salamanca but perhaps Buffalo? There is a rail yard about 1 mile or so behind me [view is north].

This marker is on the existing row, not the abandoned line right next to it.

https://i.postimg.cc/X7VDxDfw/IMG-1142.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, this could have easily been posted in PA. Move it if you wish.
 #1504633  by BR&P

I believe they numbered the poles - that would be MP 199, pole 10 I think. So you would be right near McMinn's.

BR&P mileposts were measured from MP 0 at the Rochester passenger station. The concrete bumper is still there.
 #1504672  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:BR&P mileposts were measured from MP 0 at the Rochester passenger station. The concrete bumper is still there.
where?
 #1504863  by thebigham

A train bound for Riker leaves Salamanca every morning around 8am. Except the weekends. It's SIRI.

They stop to do some work in Bradford then head south.

I have to get to Droney's Curve sometime to hear SIRI climbing the hill. Videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... %27s+curve" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's northbound counterpart, RISI, arrives in Salamanca around 6pm.
 #1504944  by SST

Last year, after visiting the Jimmy Stewart museum in Indiana, Pa, I drove back rt119 and I recall seeing the Riker yard [didn't know it at the time] and noticed it was fairly large for the middle of nowhere. Thanks for the info on train movements and I'll try to match up on my next trip down.

When I was down in Dubois last week, I stayed at the Holliday Inn Express with a 3rd floor west looking view. I had hoped it was high enough and the trees thin enough to see movements in the yard. Unfortunately, even though there were no leaves yet, the area was to thick with trees and couldn't see through them. The sky was so crystal clear, I was able to view various aircraft flying over Lake Erie. If not one form of transportation, then another.

BTW, there is a rail to trail on the former PRR. Wolf Run. Its only 5 miles or less. Starting from south entrance its mostly up hill. In December and last week I rode my bike on it. I sank in the dirt/stone row making it difficult to ride on. I will try it again during the summer and hopefully it will be thoroughly dry. This trail parallels the B&P with some great viewing spots. I would also advise the B&P that the Wolf Run creek is "washing" the ROW in a couple of spots. Not a washout but its being washed.

Thanks again.