Railroad Forums 

• B&O Toledo Docks

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#9761  by matt

Thanks Michael, I asked this question. The docks are where I thought they would be but not nearly as large apparently.

Also of note, the lead to the wheel center that crosses Westwood near Nasby can be seen on the map as well. If one drives across the tracks at cp292, you can see that this lead is still there north of the mains. The lack of winter vegetation makes it quite evident.

Thanks

#10199  by ToledoTerminalRy

Wow so many differences from now. Very nice. A couple that I really have to recognize.

1. How big the PRR yard over East Broadway near Wales Rd (1944 - Egleston Rd lol) also if the "I" and "E" yards are the PRR too Holy Toledo sounds right to describe the size.
2. The Eastern Division Yard at Stanley Yard (looks to be in the middle of RT 795 now) and its lines near #13 in the map.
3. How the map shows Temperance and Stanley Yards without Roundhouses.....kind of odd for 1944, I think.
4. Vickers NYC line used to have 4 lines that crossed the TT's 2 and one Wye at the SW corner
5. W&LE Underpass for the NYC main and overpass for the C&O (see #6)
6. The C&O Switch off the TT near Dearborn + Starr Ave.
7. How small Homestead Yard is portrayed was it this small under W&LE ownership and the next owners made it bigger?
8. The small yard from the Pennsy's 2 track line across the river to AA's 4 track main (Ottawa Yard?(presursor to?))
9. The Michigan Central's track over or under Airline Yard (Mega Yard)
FINALLY (lol) The line I mentioned in the old forums near New York Ave. paralleling Erie St. is connecting W&LE to the DT&SL. Note: this line may have or had planned to connect to the TT near Manhattan?

Wow lots of differences. I would love to have seen the Toledo Area in this time period. LOTS OF COLORS!

Ryan

#10914  by burp621

That map is absolutely awesome! Thanks for posting the link!

Burp

#11089  by dti407

I printed the map out on 16 pages (made it big) and put it together with scotch tape. Very nice.
 #77456  by Passenger Extra

Wow that sure clears up a few things.

My dad used to work into there on the B&O, both freight and passenger. I know the routes were different, and I gathered from his comments that it was complicated routing sometimes getting in and out of there.

I recall now a few of the place names, like Walbridge, Vickers, and Stanley. Coming east from Sandusky on the New York Central on one of their numerous trains it seemed at times there was a question of what route you were actually going to use. Now I know why!