Railroad Forums 

• B&O CPL Status

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1322115  by jtunnel

I hear that there are no longer any active wayside B&O style CPL's left on CSX (some dwarf CPL's are left).

Is this true?
 #1322163  by ExCon90

In Philadelphia there is a high bracket signal governing eastward movement at the end of two main tracks (the first interlocking east of LOCUST, but I'm not sure of the name--is it RACE?); it's where the single track through the Art Museum Tunnel begins. I don't know how future plans stand, but I'm sure it's in the get-it-while-you-can category. I think there are still a few more west of Philadelphia, as well.
 #1322468  by ExCon90

Not CSX, but it just occurred to me that as far as I know the CPLs at Washington Union Station are still there, and since I think Amtrak owns it now I can't see them spending money on a conversion in view of all their other needs. And I suspect the CPLs on the SIRC will be around for a long time. There's another bracket signal (and I think it actually is CSX, just outside of Union Station and visible on the left from Amtrak northbound trains) on which both signals have all 6 orbital lights.
 #1322487  by mmi16

ExCon90 wrote:Not CSX, but it just occurred to me that as far as I know the CPLs at Washington Union Station are still there, and since I think Amtrak owns it now I can't see them spending money on a conversion in view of all their other needs. And I suspect the CPLs on the SIRC will be around for a long time. There's another bracket signal (and I think it actually is CSX, just outside of Union Station and visible on the left from Amtrak northbound trains) on which both signals have all 6 orbital lights.
Amtrak's use of CPL's is somewhat of a 'hybrid' operation. The signals in and around Washington Union Station were B&O CPL's from the time they were installed. The rest of what are now CPL's on the NEC between New York and DC started out as PRR Position Light signals. In their original installation all the lights were the same color (something between white & yellow). Over the years successive regimes of management have added colors to the lights. Initially with the horizontal lights being changed to red and ultimately to what exists today.
 #1322949  by atsf sp

Cumberland,MD still has some in operation at West Hump and Mexico.
 #1323190  by ekt8750

ExCon90 wrote:In Philadelphia there is a high bracket signal governing eastward movement at the end of two main tracks (the first interlocking east of LOCUST, but I'm not sure of the name--is it RACE?); it's where the single track through the Art Museum Tunnel begins. I don't know how future plans stand, but I'm sure it's in the get-it-while-you-can category. I think there are still a few more west of Philadelphia, as well.
It's VINE. In fact The east end of the Philly Sub has a bunch left. VINE, GRAYS, Eastside Yard is full of them and dwarves and RG Tower, 58th St, DARBY and COLLINGDALE. It's all Vader signals west of Collingdale.

Another funny thing is that what used to be CSX's Harrisburg Sub now part of the Trenton Line is former Pennsy territory and that is all still controlled by classic Pennsy position lights.
 #1335347  by ExCon90

Just noticed that there are Vaders at the interlocking just west of the bridge over Amtrak (DARBY, or 58TH ST.?); the CPL bracket signal governing eastward movement at VINE was still there yesterday afternoon.
 #1335401  by ekt8750

ExCon90 wrote:Just noticed that there are Vaders at the interlocking just west of the bridge over Amtrak (DARBY, or 58TH ST.?); the CPL bracket signal governing eastward movement at VINE was still there yesterday afternoon.
That's 58TH. I mentioned in another thread that that they had Vaders up in DARBY and COLLINGDALE (still haven't been cut in yet though). Doesn't look like they've gotten to the Eastside Yard signals as of yet though.
 #1348627  by ekt8750

the CPLs at DARBY and COLLINGDALE are no more. The new Vader signals were cut in yesterday. The interlocking at DARBY is interesting as they replaced the two waysides and the dwarf on track 1 with a wayside facing the single track main and a signal bridge for the two track main. I find it odd that they'd put a signal bridge there as they are considering raising clearances for double stacks.
 #1352284  by mmi16

ekt8750 wrote:the CPLs at DARBY and COLLINGDALE are no more. The new Vader signals were cut in yesterday. The interlocking at DARBY is interesting as they replaced the two waysides and the dwarf on track 1 with a wayside facing the single track main and a signal bridge for the two track main. I find it odd that they'd put a signal bridge there as they are considering raising clearances for double stacks.
The controling clearance obstacle between Darby and Chester is Boone Tunnel. I don't know if there is any clearance plan to allow double stacks on the Philadelphia Sub. Philadelphia double stacks go on the Northern route using the Susquehanna trackage rights. Double stacks originating in Baltimore would need to go West and are blocked by the Howard Street Tunnel, which can't go UP account all the infrastructure that is built above it (Light Rail and Baltimore subway in addition to all the various utilities) and can't really go down as it's base is already below sea level of Baltimore Harbor and floods with every heavy rain.
 #1353188  by ekt8750

mmi16 wrote:
ekt8750 wrote:the CPLs at DARBY and COLLINGDALE are no more. The new Vader signals were cut in yesterday. The interlocking at DARBY is interesting as they replaced the two waysides and the dwarf on track 1 with a wayside facing the single track main and a signal bridge for the two track main. I find it odd that they'd put a signal bridge there as they are considering raising clearances for double stacks.
The controling clearance obstacle between Darby and Chester is Boone Tunnel. I don't know if there is any clearance plan to allow double stacks on the Philadelphia Sub. Philadelphia double stacks go on the Northern route using the Susquehanna trackage rights. Double stacks originating in Baltimore would need to go West and are blocked by the Howard Street Tunnel, which can't go UP account all the infrastructure that is built above it (Light Rail and Baltimore subway in addition to all the various utilities) and can't really go down as it's base is already below sea level of Baltimore Harbor and floods with every heavy rain.
Yeah there are plans to dredge Boone Tunnel. Doing that will allow for both double stacks and potentially a second track.
 #1384009  by mmi16

The CPL's at Mexico and West Hump in Cumberland, MD are being replaced as I post this.
 #1425633  by ExCon90

A friend sent me a post from another site that the CPLs at VINE and LOCUST in Philadelphia have been taken down as of this weekend, and standard color-light signals are in place but not yet cut in, trains being routed over the High Line in the meantime. Another friend confirms that the signals at LOCUST are on the ground.
 #1426629  by ekt8750

ExCon90 wrote:A friend sent me a post from another site that the CPLs at VINE and LOCUST in Philadelphia have been taken down as of this weekend, and standard color-light signals are in place but not yet cut in, trains being routed over the High Line in the meantime. Another friend confirms that the signals at LOCUST are on the ground.
Locust used to be all dwarfs. The new set up has a pair of towers facing west and a signal bridge facing east.

Also the old Reading G-type signals have all been replaced on the Trenton Line between CP Laurel Hill and the High Line and further down the line, CP Penrose is the first of PRR position signals who's days are numbered as new set up has been erected but not yet cut in though.