Railroad Forums 

• B&O CPL locations in Ohio

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#1000336  by MR77100

I am planning a trip to northern Ohio, likely to the Deshler/Toledo area. I have heard there are still some Color Position Light signals making their last stand on the ex-B&O Toledo Sub and in a few other areas. Could someone please tell me as many locations as possible? I need more information from the area.
 #1000520  by kevin.brackney

There are still some of the old signals still in service on the IORY Midland Sub from E. Norwood to Bond Hill (Cincinnati). That might be out of your way, depending on your plans. The old color position lights on the former PRR from the IORY connection at CP Mill (Sharon Yard) to the signals governing the wye adjacent to McCullough Yard are still in service too.
 #1022405  by MSchwiebert

Between the end of double track Perry (Perrysburg) and Lima (I'm going to say DT&I Jct.) all the control points currently still have CPL's for their absolute signals. Those Control points are (from North to South)
Perry (end of Double Track)
N. End of Haskins (siding)
S. End of Haskins (siding)
N. End of Tontogany (siding)
S. End of Tontogany (siding)
N. Deshler (formerly north end of north siding, now Northwest "wye" track)
As for Deshler itself, a simple rule of thumb is anything on the Toledo Sub side has kept it's CPL's while anything on the Willard/Garrett side has Safetrans units.
S. Deshler (S. End of south sidings)
N. Leipsic (N. End of Leipsic Siding)
Leipsic Jct. (NS diamond)
"XN" (S. End of Leipsic Siding & Connection with former DT&I)
Kleman (N. End of Ottawa Loop)
Ottawa (N. End of Ottawa Siding)
S. Ottawa (S. End of Ottawa Siding & S. End of Ottawa Loop)
N. Cairo (N end of Cairo North Siding0
Laps Cairo (S. end of Cairo North Siding & N End of Cairo South Siding)
S. Cairo (S. End of Cairo S siding)
DT&I Jct. (where former DT&I trackage rights from XN ends).

There is also 1 pair of intermediates between XN & Ottawa that are still CPL's. The majority of these signals are the "traditional" mast signals, but there are a handful of exceptions.
Signal bridges
S. End of Haskins for Southbound Trains
South Deshler for Southbound Trains.
North Cairo for Northbound Trains
South Cairo for Southbound Trains

Cantilever Bridges
N. End of Tontogany for Northbound Trains
N. End of East Siding Deshler
Northbound Diamond Leipsic (with one signal for main & 1 for siding)
 #1023674  by wurlitzer153

As of September, there were still a few around Akron. The ones I knew about were near the Arlington St. crossing just east of Rt. 8. Around that same time, the CPLs near the OH/PA border were being replaced.
 #1023771  by MR77100

wurlitzer153 wrote:As of September, there were still a few around Akron. The ones I knew about were near the Arlington St. crossing just east of Rt. 8. Around that same time, the CPLs near the OH/PA border were being replaced.
Yes, I just read about the signals being replaced in Youngstown. Are there any still left in the Dayton area?
 #1033918  by iceman977th

In Chillicothe, CSX uses two to guard their trackage at the diamond at Renick junction. One is directly behind the ODOT garage on Eastern Avenue, which is not directly accessible without being on private/railroad property. The other is on the west side of the NS main guarding the spur back east from Glatfelter. This signal can be viewed from the S Bridge Street overpass, but unsure if there's any place you can walk up to and get pictures (or if the plant would like that...)

On a side note, if you go as far south as Portsmouth, there's still a N&W CPL at Vera from the railbanked Peavine line, it's not active, but it's still standing...