Railroad Forums 

• B&O/C&O Painted units

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#234247  by Engineer James

Is CSX still operating B&O/C&O paint schemes? I think I have seen an SD40, for CSX still in C&O livery, some time go, maybe 5 years.

Why not paint 5 units lets say for all the raods that went into CSX. EH?

#235577  by U-Haul

#236197  by Tadman

What does it take to keep a locomotive in old paint that long? Is someone at the paint shop actively making sure these few units don't make it in?

It's no surprise that Chessie geep was captured in Muskegon with a exGP30 slug - we used to get the junkiest geeps coming down the PM in the summertime with a sand train.

#236744  by Engineer James

I think its nice to see old Railroad paint schemes.... especially pre-merger. I hope there are REAL railfans working in the shops at CSX....

If so.... You GUYS (AND GALS) RULE!! Thanks for not letting us forget the old roads!

#236969  by railohio

CSX 4617 is still (mostly) painted in C&O blue. It has had yellow added to the nose by CSX but otherwise looks pretty good. It is the only Chessie-predecessor unit remaining, not counting the units acquired in the Conrail split.

#239254  by Engineer James

Why did CSX have to put on the Yellow fronts/rears? :( Makes them look bad.

#239286  by octr202

Visibility. They learned their lessons with the "stealth" era, then slapped yellow ends on everything.

#242048  by Dieter

Safety - Covering the proverbial posterior so that in litigation, someone injured can't say; "But your honor, I didn't see it coming!" Put it in bright colors, or candy striping and only Helen Keller would miss it.

These paint schemes surviving may also be due in part to expense. Is there any movement afoot in the corporate offices to retain heritage paint schemes?