Railroad Forums 

• B&O and NYC rail Terminals in Chicago

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#161888  by NJTRailfan

Can anyone tell me if the B&O's Grand Central and the NYC's Central Station ever had the big grand waiting rooms/concourses and retail areas like Hoboken Terminal in NJ or GCT in NYC?

Thanks
 #162085  by Tony T.

I was too young to remember much, but I passed through Grand Central a few times going from Fostoria (via Toledo later) to Chicago. All I really remember is the great hall...VERY overwhelming for a young trainwatcher 'to-be'.

Here's some historical photos from the Library of Congress's site:

Library of Congress

TT

#169368  by SPUI

Central Station was the Illinois Central's terminal, though the NYC's Michigan Central Railroad ran there until 1957, and the NYC's Big Four ran there into Amtrak. NYC's main line ran into LaSalle Street Station, shared with the Rock Island and Nickel Plate, and the Michigan Central after 1957. In 1968 Penn Central's former NYC trains to LaSalle were moved to Union Station over former PRR trackage.