Railroad Forums 

• B&M steam locomotive bell

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#335206  by Bell

I recently purchased a bell that came off of a B&M steam locomotive. Is there a way to find out what specific train this bell came from?

The following is the info I have on the bell so far. STEAM LOCOMOTIVE BELL WITH YOKE FROM B & M RAILROAD
16 INCH

200 POUNDS

You may have seen or heard this very bell. It spent it's life on a Boston & Maine steam locomotive. It ran over miles and miles of B&M tracks from Lowell, Massachusetts to Montreal, Canada. I think it was taken off the train in Concord New Hampshire. Carl Dexter was Chief Engineer on the B&M. When the B&M sent the last of the steam engines to the junk yard for scrap, Railroad Management had Carl Dexter do the chore. The equipment was still in very good condition, but the future was with the new diesel fleet. Carl and several other's on the crew drove the trains to Pittsburg, Pa. to be cut into pieces. "Everybody" wanted a bell. There were 4 to 8 engines in the last batch of the steam fleet. Management had Carl remove the bronze bells and sell them for $1,000 to $1,500 depending on their condition. Carl kept the best bell of the lot for himself. He later gave it to his son, Stanley. (Stanley is now 92 years old) Stanley has recently decided to sell the bell. It has been in his cellar for decades. Hopefully, the bell will find a new home where more people will see it, and appreciate it's history. It should be in a museum someplace like Concord, N.H. Carl Dexter was from Concord, N.H. Stanley often rode the rails with his father. He liked the trips to Canada. Stanley explained that the bell is not brass but bronze. Bronze has a mellow tone and is much prefered to brass....At any rate Stanley says this is a bronze bell....made from copper and tin. The bell with the cast iron yoke weighs about 200 pounds....(I used a bathroom scale). The bronz part of the bell measures: 16" diameter by 12" high. The yoke measures 24" high. I built the white wooden frame which added an additional 20 pounds or so. The bottom of the yoke is cast in a rounded shape so it would fit tightly over the round tube or barrel of the steam engine. The number on the inside of the bell is "363 44". I think there is an intentional space in the number, but I'm not positive. I have been told that American Locomotive Company of Schenectady, New York made the locomotives that this bell came from. Stanley thinks this came from a "4000" series ALC engine; or maybe it was replaced with a 4000-D. Note, the bronze bell and the clapper move on this bell. On some bells; just the clapper moves by a rope to the clapper. You get a louder ring this way. There is a lot of information available about the B&M Railroad Company. Some of it online. If you do a Google Search of: Carl Dexter Boston and Maine Railroad; you will find the archives of The Boston & Maine Historical Society. Available online is the start date of most B&M employees. (Carl Dexter shows 2 start dates: November 13, 1909 and November 15, 1909. The names are slightly different....Carl and C.L.Dexter; just 2 days apart. Carl's middle name was Lucien) The Society has the maintenance cards of basically all the work ever done on any of it's steam locomotives thru 1955. I would guess it left the fleet for the scrap pile in 1955, because that is when the records end
 #594687  by daddy-o

Lucky you bell, I too have a B&M loco bell. And a long story.
I got mine from a gentleman from Leominster. He told me he got it a while back at an estate sale locally. The name, he said, was Judkins. The name didnt mean much, I just wanted a bell. A few months later, when I had this bell at my shop, a part time temp worker was looking at it and, not knowing me or the story, told me he lived out near Worcester about 25 years ago and had a neighbor who had a bell set up on the back porch and the kids would ring it. He thought hard and said he thinks the name was Judkins.
I could only smile.
It is like yours, 16" in diameter, and has been restored. It was in terrible condition, gold spray paint and rusting all over.
But I got a suprise when I cleaned it up.
Numbers, lots of them. Not the cast on type, but stamped.
When I got it, it had a brass metal tag attached by steel wire, very old, with the number 443. I decided to take it apart and repaint it and clean the gold paint off the bronze. I sent the iron to a local blast shop and had it stripped and powdercoated with gloss black paint. I then decided to strip the bronze by hand rather by blast. Smart move. under the paint were stamped numbers, 727, 2653(twice), and two more that are not so good. When I got the iron back, there were two more numbers, again stamped, not cast, 2642, and, matching the metal tag, 443.
A year after I got it, I went to a model RR show in Foxborough and met a gentleman who claimed to be an author about the B&M and he told me this story:
"When an engine went in for certain class repairs, it was stripped of all appliances, bells included. Any number of locos were being repaired at one time, so when the next engine was sent on it's way, any working bell was put up on top."
I dont know if it was company policy to stamp every bell, maybe just division policy, but I know I have some work cut out for me if I decide to pursue all the repair orders for each of the numbers. In time I could put together an order for the travels of this bell.
After I put it back together, I turned new bushings for the trunions by the way, I made a stand for it. It is made up of 3/4" steel plate, sawed into a 12" octogon, under this I fashioned a tripod of 3" high rail, 15" tall. I had it painted dark green.
The whole thing stands about 40" tall and is only missing an appropriate finial.
Forget about it: to me it's priceless.
Any questions are welcome.
As an aside, my wonderful lady found me a copy of Harry Frye's book: Minuteman Steam, what a gal.
 #597645  by truman

From Harry Frye's Minuteman Steam:
727 is a pre 1911 number, a class F 0-4-0 switch engine built in 1893, renumbered 67 in 1911 and sold in 1912.
2653 was a class K, a 2-8-0 scrapped in 1951.
2642 was also a class K, scrapped in 1949. Both K's were built in 1913.
443 was a class G 0-6-0 built in 1916 and scrapped in 1955.