Railroad Forums 

• B&M Passenger Connection with D&H

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1228107  by Engineer Spike

There was a recent post about passenger traffic to Troy, and former routes via Rotterdam Jct./ West Shore. Were there routes to the west via D&H to Binghamton, and DL&W or Erie west? I'm sure if it happened, it did not last. The Central is most direct.
 #1228146  by TomNelligan

Never any through passenger service that I'm aware of, unless maybe it happened for two weeks in the 1920s or something. The B&M wasn't really a major Boston-to-Midwest passenger carrier, since it couldn't compete with the much faster direct service offered by the B&A and NYC. The through sleepers from Boston to NYC connections via Troy were about it.

B&M passengers who did want to get to the D&H could ride between Troy and Albany Union Station on the NYC, or take a local streetcar.

Through freight service did exist via Mechanicville, notably the Boston-Chicago piggyback service offered by the B&M-D&H-EL in the late 1960s that pooled power from all three lines.
 #1228156  by Ocala Mike

Weren't there through trains from Boston to the races at Saratoga Springs, NY back in the day? I'm talking early 20th century here.
 #1228301  by jaymac

Sometime in the 1950s, Railroad Magazine ran a photo of The Dude, a race-season special that ran from North Station to Saratoga on an all-B&M route. Just west of the Hudson River bridge, the special would use the Saratoga & Schuylerville Branch, sold post-WW II to the Pinslys and scrapped, ironically enough, in the 1950s.
If you use your search engine of choice, you should get a good number of hits for the Saratoga & Schuylerville. You may even get referred back to this site, because I posted somewhat the same info earlier, but given my just-caffeinated ADDness, I had neither the patience nor focus to go hunting.