Railroad Forums 

• B&M GP9 Bell Position

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#904479  by KSmitty

In looking through photos and from personal sightings, I see that various B&M GP9's/GP9r's had two different bell positions.

One was above the number board on the fireman's side short hood. I can't seem to find the bell in pictures of units with the bell not on the short hood, but I assume that like most units it was under the frame just ahead of the fuel tank on the fireman's side.

Two questions,
1) where was the bell located on units if it is not on the short hood?
2) why the difference in bell position? Was this a question of moving it during the rebuild, or were they different on arrival from the manufacturer?
 #904618  by bmcdr

Most Geeps were built with the bell up under the frame unless the RR ordered them otherwise, B&M's were up under the frame, but snow had a nasty habit of collecting up under there and muffling the sound, so, in the 1980's, as the GP-7's and GP-9's came in for repairs at Billerica Shops, they got their bells moved to the short hood.
 #904640  by MEC407

Maine Central did the same thing in the late '70s and early '80s when they rebuilt their various GPs.
 #905398  by b&m 1566

bmcdr wrote:Most Geeps were built with the bell up under the frame unless the RR ordered them otherwise, B&M's were up under the frame, but snow had a nasty habit of collecting up under there and muffling the sound, so, in the 1980's, as the GP-7's and GP-9's came in for repairs at Billerica Shops, they got their bells moved to the short hood.
I have an old calendar picture that shows GP7 1566 sitting at Madison Station on the Conway Branch in the mid 50’s and the bell was located short hood just above the lights, hence I though all of B&M's GP7's were the same. Was 1566 the exception?
 #905441  by KSmitty

I would wager a guess that the GP7's were also delivered with the bell below, knowing what I now know from this thread, and that they were moved later in life. I have to say though, that the horn is rather odd looking, though maybe just because of the funky position, right there on the engineer's side short hood...

On the subject of GP7's, I saw in a comment on a photo, that the "Boxes" for lack of a better word on the rear of the long hood were sand boxes. I always thought they had something to do with the fact that B&M used those GP7's in commuter service, and needed room for the associated equipment.
What exactly were the boxes?
 #905538  by bmcdr

I'm going to guess that the date on that calendar photo has to be wrong, there were no bells on the short hood on any B&M geeps in the 50's.

As for the box on the long hood on B&M GP-7's, that was for train lighting equipment when those engines were in passenger service.
 #1003128  by Engineer Spike

I think that the bells were behind the pilot. A machinist or laborer would have to use a pit, or else crawl between the steps and truck. Sometimes the pistons, which actuate the clanger stick. Sometimes I get on an engine out in nowhere with a bad bell. Since there is no mechanical staff, I lubricate the piston with some oil. This is why I like the new electronic ones.