Railroad Forums 

• B&M GP9 #1728

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#864025  by steve coraggio

Hello Everyone:
My name is Steve Coraggio and I normally log into the Pennsylvania RR forums or the NJ Forum. I am looking for information on GT locomotive # 1728, either a GP7 or GP 9. I photographed that locomotive in NJ ,in 2002. Information I am requesting is; when locomotive was built any predecessor railroad prior to it being in service for Guilford Transportation. I would like the information to post on my contributor site at railroad picture archives .net.
I can be reached by email as well. Thank you
 #864098  by Dick H

Boston and Maine 1728 was built in 4/57 as part of a 50 unit (1700-1749)
order of GP-9 locomotives, builder's #23226. It was renumbered as
Springfield Terminal #66, exact date unknown, probably late 1980's.
It was sold to the Rail Museum of New England in 1997, who, in turn
later sold it to the Massachusetts Central, who restored it's original
number of 1728. The MCER sold it to the Raritan Central in 2003.

Run this URL and read the comments under each photo for more info.
http://tinyurl.com/34du982

Run this URL for many photos of the 1728 working in NJ as later as June 2010
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoList.aspx?id=RCRY
 #864210  by steve coraggio

Dick H,
Thank you very much for your prompt reply to my inquiry on GT GP9 #1728. When I post the picture of that engine on my railroad picture archives Contributor Site, I will note your name as supplying the information. Steve Coraggio
 #864322  by MEC407

Just a friendly suggestion, I would not recommend referring to it as a "GT" locomotive -- GT was the reporting mark for the Grand Trunk and is likely to confuse people who view your photos of that locomotive. Guilford, as a holding company, did not have reporting marks of its own, but instead used the reporting marks of its subsidiaries -- BM, MEC, or ST.
 #864442  by steve coraggio

Hello MEC407,
Thank you for your friendly suggestion to distinguish between Guilford Transportation and Grand Trunk Western.
I forgot about that as you are right it could confuse others when reading my inquiry. Steve Coraggio