Railroad Forums 

• B&M GP18

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#799334  by Engineer Spike

I see that wog820 even filled in the dynamic brake fan! This was done to most of the GP 9 & 18 fleet, when they were disconnected.
 #1141252  by bruceclouette

I just this morning returned to a GP18 project I started about 10 years ago. It's O-Scale, using Red Caboose GP9 parts. I am not going to put on the 48" brake fan because these were removed when the dynamic brake was disabled (I don't know the date, perhaps someone else does). I'm thinking about 1752 with the Minuteman on the nose. For some reason, the Minuteman was left on after the red-white-blue Bicentennial stripes were removed, or maybe this unit never got the stripes?

I'll have to check the nose when I get home - I hope I slanted it right.

BRUCE CLOUETTE
 #1141863  by bumthum

This is 1753 I did a year or so ago in N scale. The long hood is from an Atlas GP-9, everything else is Life Like GP-18.

#1143658  by jbvb

The B&M officially banned dynamic brakes as part of blaming them for the "boxcar mine" derailment in Hoosac Tunnel about 1968. However, I don't think they actually did anything electrical or mechanical, just told the engineers not to use them and the shop people not to fix them. They didn't actually remove any components until the GP rebuilding program about 1979, which started to turn 17xx units into 18xx units.
 #1206057  by Engineer Spike

B&M Historical Society had some video which were converted from old movies. One had a GP18, and 2 GP7s on a Barnum and Bailey circus train. There IS a prototype for your carnival train.