Railroad Forums 

• B&M FT #4221

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#829161  by bmcdr

The only information I have on this wreck, without digging into ICC reports, is that the 4221a was the lead unit on an eastbound through freight (symbol unknown) that rammed the rear of train #21, a local passenger train from Boston to Portland via the Eastern Route that was due at Biddeford at 920pm. The rear car on #21 was a Maine Central coach that was telescoped on impact and the 4221a suffered severe damage to its nose requiring a replacement at Billerica Shops that was supplied by EMD. But, being 1950, EMD no longer made the small, side mounted number indicators, so the 4221a got rebuilt with the more modern large number indicators that the F-7's and subsequent F models were built with. I've attatched a couple of photos from my collection, photographer unknown, of the wreck scene and one taken a few years later showing the rebuild job done by Billerica.
F-205.jpg
F-206.jpg
F-212.jpg
 #829186  by MEC407

ferroequinarchaeologist wrote:http://ntl1.specialcollection.net/scrip ... _railroads

Scroll down to ICC ... 1911-1994, click, scroll to 1950, click, then scroll to Boston and Maine and click.
Thanks for the link. The report is very interesting reading, and if you download the PDF version, it also has a diagram of the trackage in question.

Big thanks to bmcdr for the photos and summary!
 #829209  by Stephen

Wow, that would have been an awful day/night for both passengers on that car and the crew on 4221!
- Stephen