Railroad Forums 

• B&M Employee Timetable notations

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1193379  by mr. mick

I recently acquired a Boston & Maine Employees Timetable (ETT), No. 77, January 1961. I see that in the timetable, many of the station names have a notation against many of them; specifically, capital letters that mean something about the station. For example, for the first listing of each station, the station name is followed by one, or a combination of, the following capital letters (although some stations have none): T, D, N, or X. The combinations are two or three of these letters: Some examples are: Boston NX, Reading TD, Wakefield Junction XT, Bleachery TNX, Haverhill TX, Rockingham TD, Fitchburg N, Manchester TNX, Concord TDX.

In the same fashion, my New Haven ETT uses the letter N and D to identify which communication offices are open 24 hours/day ( letter "N") or otherwise (letter "D") ( per the NH Operating Rules book.).

I do not have a B & M operating rules book to see what these letters mean.

Anyone know what the letters designate?
 #1193404  by bml1149

"T"- telephone communication

"D"- Train order office, not open continuously

"N"- Train order office, open continuously

"W"- Water

"X"- yard limits

These codes are listed in the B&M rulebook. Mine is dated February 1, 1931.

Leverett Fernald
 #1193437  by mr. mick

Thank you Mr. Fernald for the information. There are a lot if stations with a "T", which makes sense.. Interesting that they would indicate which stations have 'yard limits'.; perhaps to alert the trains to changes in speed upon approaching the station stop --?

Peter McArdle
 #1193452  by edbear

The T telephones are B & M lineside phones that connected to towers or the Train Dispatchers. The X yard limits have two meanings. If you're running on unsignaled track you go into y/l territory expecting to find trains or equipment fouling the track or switches open; if you are in signal territory you may operate according to the signal indication. Time in italics is shown for information only. The New Haven timetables show open office hours; B & M does not. I assume on the B & M there was a bulletin giving open hours.