Railroad Forums 

• B&M 0-4-0 #2 "Portland"

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1269339  by bubbytrains

Hi,
I know this is a long shot but a friend of mine showed me an old picture that has been in his family for a long time and I offered to research it. So far I have found nothing about it.

The photo shows an 0-4-0 with "Boston and Maine" written on the tender, #2 on the side of the headlamp, and, most helpful perhaps, the name "Portland" on the cab side. My limited knowledge leads me to believe it is at least as old as the turn of the century and definitely pre-1911 (per my Harry Frye "Minuteman Steam" book). I read where names on the cab sides of locos were eliminated by 1892. I can't tell who the builder was but I did find a roster of Mason locomotives on the web (R&LHS), which did not contain this loco. The tender has only two axles. My small library of B&M and MEC steam books has no clues. I would think with the name "Portland" it would be easy to find but alas Googling unearthed nothing.

Does anyone have any information on this locomotive or suggestions on where to find it?

Thank you,
Alan S.
 #1270731  by Pat Fahey

Hi Alan
I found another engine also named Portland in the Harry Fyre book Minuteman Steam , but this locomotive is a 4-4-0 . # 234 Class A-10 . The engine was built by Manchester Locomotives Works in 8/1/1874 , scrapped 6/1912 built for the Nashua & Rochester RR as there # 19 then became WN&P # 19 , renumbered to # 234 into B&M roster check page 39 Minuteman Steam .
I know it is not the same loco you are looking for the 0-4-0 , Pat
 #1270884  by atsf sp

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... ,_1871.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Did this locomotive look like this one?
This site also may give some reference. https://sites.google.com/site/bostonand ... lder-power" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1274938  by NHRAND

Boston & Maine 0-4-0 Number 2 "PORTLAND" was built by the B&M Shops in 1865. It had 15x22 inch cylinders and was scrapped in 1903.
An earlier "PORTLAND", also Number 2, was an 1843 Hinkley & Drury 4-2-0 scrapped in 1864.
The best source of B&M steam roster information is the Bulletins of the Railway Locomotive & Historical Society. Various issues from October 1931 to October 1935 included rosters of all the B&M predecessors and the B&M.
For steam check my site --- http://sites.google.com/site/bostonandmainerailroad
[img]
IMG.jpg
[/img]
 #1275786  by bubbytrains

NHRAND,

That's it! I am extremely grateful for your response! I had given up hope of unearthing any information about it without going to Massachusetts to the historical society or another source (I'm in central Maine).

I'm quite surprised at how old the engine was, built right after the Civil War! I'm sure my friend will be very happy to learn some things about it. Thanks for the picture, too!

Love your steam site, by the way.

Thanks again,
Alan