Railroad Forums 

• B&H Alco handrails

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1452697  by nydepot

I happen to see this photo and caught the unusual handrails. This is from 1972. You can see the extra handrails running from the rear handrails up to the cab roof. These were NKP-styled handrails. The best I can tell, they were removed by 1974.

Just a post if anyone ever decides to model early B&H. This is the first photo I've personally seen showing the old handrails. I like how they even have the yellow and black stripe painted on them.

Charles
1972.jpg
 #1452707  by Matt Langworthy

For those not familiar with B&H #4, she was the sole NKP S1 and was assigned to greater Buffalo area for much of her pre-B&H history. The extra handrails were gone by the time I moved to Hammondsport in 1976.
 #1452708  by nydepot

That would be the "they were removed by 1974." part, Matt. :wink:
Matt Langworthy wrote:The extra handrails were gone by the time I moved to Hammondsport in 1976.
 #1452711  by Matt Langworthy

Understood- just giving an eyewitness report.
 #1452741  by jr

The safety bars were inherited by NKP, from the W&LE. The Wheeling had a fatality on one of their NW2's quite early, and installed similar devices on their small fleet of switchers. NKP apparently approved, so after they acquired the Wheeling in 1949, they installed them on all of their switchers.

NKP 79, a 1953 Alco S4, retains this feature today, at the R&GVRRM.

JR