• AYMO / MOAY / 22K / 23K (Ayer-Mohawk trains)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MCER401

Why did Pan Am (Southern) wash the 352, 506 and have them lead AYMO from Ayer to E. Deerfield two days in a row? This was on 8/5 and 8/6, and they swapped the power at E. Deerfield both days. Were they trying to impress someone and round up more buisness, get some photos for some reason or what?? It seemed very un Pan Am/Guilford ish.
  by GP40MC1118

A writer from Trains Magazine was aboard. Look for an article later this year or January.
  by MEC407

by Otto Vondrak

From the Yahoo Group "ObsCar":
I'm working on a story about Pan Am Railways. Last Thursday I rode the AYMO, which is the westbound intermodal train that Pan Am operates for Norfolk Southern between Ayer MA and Mohawk NY, the CP terminal near Mechanicville NY and north of Albany. Anyway, it was a beautiful summer afternoon when we left at 5 o'clock, on what would turn out to be a 12-hour trip. But I digress. As we came out of the intermodal yard, I noticed someone photographing our train, which was led by two blue repainted and clean Pan Am GP40s. We'd gone about a mile when when I shouted a nasty word. I told the crew I should have tossed out a business card with "Call me" circled. For all I know, this train-riding experience will be the framework the entire story is built around. If it works that way, the more photos of it in hand, the better. A few miles down the line, three photographers were waiting for us. Out went a business card from the conductor's window, but I couldn't tell whether anyone saw it. Fifteen minutes later, another meeting and I threw out yet another card, although the person I intended it for shouted "I already have it." It's easy to communicate train-to-ground like this when you're doing 10 mph. I did get a call the next day. I wish I knew who it was - he needs a new cell phone. But he has my address and says he'll send me his best slides. I got a kick out of this and hope I get the fellow published. Did something like this ever happen to one of you? It sure hasn't to me, and I am glad I thought to paper the right of way.

--Fred Frailey
  by MEC407

If anyone has good, publishable photos of the AYMO special, send Otto a PM and he'll forward your information to Mr. Frailey.
  by MCER401

GP40MC1118 wrote:A writer from Trains Magazine was aboard. Look for an article later this year or January.
Thanks, that's great info. Still seems very unlike ST to care that someone wants to do an article about them.
  by jaymac

Fred Frailey's post covers it, perhaps indirectly, when he writes about MOAY/AYMO being run by PAR for Norfolk Southern. The intermodals in and out of Ayer are now PAS, and the Thoroughbreds take PR a bit more to heart than did/does PAR.
  by KSmitty

Just wondering, but I am yet to see this article, has it been published yet or have I just missed it.

Seems GRS/PAR fell off the table as far as news coverage for a while. There was a big stir in the magazines when Guilford was assembled in the early 80's but then not much coverage in trains. Maybe a news bit here and there but nothing major. Now This is the first story to hit TRAINS about PAR. Maybe PAS/NS unfluence will keep PAR in TRAINS more often, it would be nice!
  by KSmitty

I just got my email newsletter from Trains. The story on PAR is set to be in this months issue. It is shipping now to subscribers, I can't wait!
  by KSmitty

I got it today, I think its an article worth reading! Mr. Frailey did a good job, the article gives a nice short version of GTI/PAR's history and then goes on about the patriot corridor and PAR as a whole.

It was good reading and nice to see PAR in Trains!
  by schwab21

johnpbarlow wrote:Good upbeat article but I don't see "Otter Creek" on my PAS map.... ;-)
Otter River, near Gardner and Baldwinville.