• AYMO / MOAY / 22K / 23K (Ayer-Mohawk trains)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by ProRail

I read the article. I find it to be a fluff piece, typical of the recent efforts by TRAINS to be more of an industry rag-sheet like "Railway Age."

No mention of the negatives in terms of the financials. If you read carefully it becomes apparent that since the $24.5 million GTI put into the B&M when it was in receivership in the 1970s, Mellon and Fink have not spent $1 of their own for infrastructure improvements and are instead still trying to get a return on their original investment - or milk the cow.

Hoosac Tunnel clearance was funded by State of MA & the NS
Amtrak money was put into the main line from Portland to Lowell
MBTA paid for the work from the Willows to Fitchburg
NS is putting $47 million into the Patriot Corridor.
So I don't see what other funding was internal.

Remember when the FAA told them they could not use RR funds to purchase additional 737 planes back in 2006-2008?
No mention of the money they siphoned off the railroad to keeping the airline flying. That was documented in the FAA review of the airline's financial status prior to the FAA forcing it to shut down as being unfit. The railroad was generating revenue and maybe even a profit, but nothing was put back into it.

Then there is the great credit given to Dave Fink for surviving the "war years" of 1987-1990 and having the foresight in regards to the need for 2-man crews and the need for financial help for the D&H. Yet there is no credit given or mention of the management personnel who actually kept the trains moving during those difficult times. A lot of people suffered his wrath when the trains were late then, never mind the awful conditions they were up against.

And as for the 10mph and 25mph speed restrictions in Maine...while I agree the RR does not need to be 40 mph throughout, there is no mention of the additional costs of constant recrews, per diem costs increasing due to the slow transit time to interchange points, and the frustration experienced by the captive customers. Or how there is constant amazement when a crew does not get over the road in 12 hours.
  by MEC407

ProRail wrote:Amtrak money was put into the main line from Portland to Lowell
Minor correction: that money came mostly from the State of Maine, and also from a funding source at the federal level... I can't remember if it was USDOT or FRA or what, but it wasn't directly from Amtrak. I know, I know... it's all taxpayer money anyway... :wink:
  by MEC407

Which issue is the article in? I stopped in at my local Borders store today and they had the December issue, but the article did not appear to be in that one.
  by octr202

January - the one with Penn Station on the cover.
  by MEC407

Thanks!
  by atholrail

by mainetrain

Nice meet at Deerfield. I liked the Gardiner shot
Crisp photos
  by gprimr1

Great photos.

I love the mood of New England photos compared to say Western railroad photos.
  by jaymac

As above for the photo quality!
As far as work/effort quality, I'm glad that it seems frostbite affected neither you nor your gear, and it is remarkable to cover all the locations you did with what would have been complicating road traffic.
If the MOAY-AYMO crew-swap took place in daylight at ED, MOAY must have been well ahead of the proposed sked.
  by Otto Vondrak

Great shots, thanks for sharing! When did the AYMO depart? Looks like you had good light most of the way to Deerfield!
  by Stephen

All,
I have a query about this train that may show my ignorance of or dated information about prototype operations.
The 11 empty autoracks are on the headpin, while I know some (or most) of the intermodal containers and trucks are empty, I thought loads had to go in front and empties on the tail end of a train. This, as I understand it, is to avoid a potential derailment on a curve as the engines pulled forward and the loads in the rear of the train resisted this motion, the empties in the middle would lift off the rail towards the inside of the curve.
Thanks for any information,
Stephen
  by bmmrlbnsfengr

You are correct about placement of loads ahead of empties on certain types of trains !!! The intermodal on the rear of that train is not a problem account the cars ,either mty or loads are light enough. However I would not want loads of grain or slurry to be back there if the mty racks were on the headpin.Those racks set up quickly when the air is set and may potentially cause the rear end to run in to the head end.
  by atholrail

AY4 made up the train and brought it to Walker Rd. This job had 11 empty racks, along with 82 T/COFC. Out of Walker Rd. (site of the recrew) at 125PM. Lighting was pretty bad most of the chase. Although the sun came out in some instances. I'm really looking forward to Spring, and longer daylight hours! Billy.
  by newpylong

Back when Waterville used to get intermodal they would send WAED down to Deerfield with an empty 5 spine or so on the head end of about 80 paper loads consistently - despire being told by the crews this was a bad idea. It caught up to them one day when they piled them up good in Gardner a few years back.

Real railroads have tonnage profiles which have good breakdowns of each car and it's weight and there are rules for tear factors, etc. Not on the ol' ST.