Railroad Forums 

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#116813  by Otto Vondrak

Those little pictures are called "avatars." Please see the thread here regarding avatars or check the FAQ section regarding avatars. Hope this helps.

http://railroad.net/forums/faq.php#f14

-otto-
 #491999  by Silverliner II

As you can see...my current avatar pic is HUGE!

For some reason, I can't edit it in Photobucket (no choice to change the pixels or size that I can find). I already resized it via my photo editing program down to 51 x 75 pixels. While it shrank on my photo editing program, and on Photobucket, when I use the link there, it posts the avatar at the humongous size you see to the left...

Any advice on how to further shrink it?

#493794  by GOLDEN-ARM

Photobucket does have sizing features. You select a photo to edit, and click the edit button, above the photo. Second screen has the photo, with a row of tabs across the top. Then click "resize' to change the size to avatar, thumbnail, website, postcard, etc. You must then select you know this change is permanent, and then click enter. The photo resizes, and you can't restore the size, once done. As Mike stated, your "huge" avatar actually looks quite normal!
 #533168  by l008com

Where'd it go? Its been gone for like a week or two at least, maybe longer. Whats the deal?

#533573  by Otto Vondrak

I checked your account and everything seems to be in order, but for some reason, no avatar. You'll have to re-establish the link to the graphic you were using. It's as simple as that.

-otto-
 #635837  by ramonesfan

how about having a thing to automatically re-size avatars that are too big. that way the board will re-size the avatar to the correct size automatically.
 #635842  by Otto Vondrak

ramonesfan wrote:how about having a thing to automatically re-size avatars that are too big. that way the board will re-size the avatar to the correct size automatically.
Sorry, you have to provide a re-sized avatar for upload. If you're having a hard time, contact me, I may be able to help.

-otto-
 #635961  by ramonesfan

ok photobucket had a thing for custom sizes. so i got it resized. thread solved.
 #747950  by Amtrak7

I"ve been asking this for a while now, but no answer:

When I go to edit my avatar, it says "The avatar functionality is currently disabled." I know that I can't upload to Railroad.NET, it must be prehosted. However, I see no option to enter a url.
 #748116  by Otto Vondrak

Amtrak7 wrote:I"ve been asking this for a while now, but no answer:

When I go to edit my avatar, it says "The avatar functionality is currently disabled." I know that I can't upload to Railroad.NET, it must be prehosted. However, I see no option to enter a url.
Sometimes individual accounts have this function disabled for a number of reasons. Please contact an administrator for more details about your account.

-otto-
 #789100  by SeptaFan235

Hi, I'm new to the site and I tried adding my own photo as my avatar, but it only lets you link a photo from another website.

Why is that? Is there really as certain way that you can use one of your own photos?

Please let me know!

Thanks!

-SeptaFan235
 #789186  by Otto Vondrak

SeptaFan235 wrote:Hi, I'm new to the site and I tried adding my own photo as my avatar, but it only lets you link a photo from another website
Whatever image you want to use for your avatar must meet our size requirements, and must be hosted remotely (that means, uploaded to another server or photo hosting site).

-otto-